Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 AM

Default Too Close to call...a clear fold or not?

SB is 35.5/16/1.3 over 76 hands
MP3 is 48.2/12.5/4.4 over 56 hands

The reason I ask about this call on the flop (the first one, I think the second is a clear fold) is because MP3 could be betting with absolutely anything here IMO. I figure I have 5.5 outs to the best hand: 4 T's to make the straight and 1.5 outs for the BDFD, which would give me just enough to call (5 outs = 8.2:1 and I'm getting 8:1). Am I right, or is this pot small enough, esp. with someone yet to act behind me, to get away from?

Full Tilt 0.25/0.5 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls $0.05 (All-In).

P.S. Have I been posting too much again? If so, please feel free to tell me and I'll post even less. I notice my name on the front page quite a bit lately. Thanks guys.
Nick
Old 08-07-2007, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Too Close to call...a clear fold or not?

I would rather 3-bet this preflop than cold-call. Folding is on my mind first though. Flop is alright.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather 3-bet this preflop than cold-call. Folding is on my mind first though. Flop is alright.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as preflop goes, it says in SSHE to call a raise w/ QJs if there are 3 players (the raiser and two others) in front of you. In this situation, I called because the raiser is a very loose raiser with a wide range of PFR hands, but still felt that the call was better than raising a potentially dominated hand..I was assuming that I was probably NOT dominated, but I also had speculative value..what reason for 3 betting in your opinion?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 AM

PF call is pretty bad. This is a BB calling hand. I like this hand though as i've been trying to work on relative position lately. At 8:1 its an easy call if you are sure you will be closing the action. It gets tricky though when small blind is short stacked and will raise his last cents to try and buy the pot (which he never will) and you are exposed to a reraise by MP3 who likely has a big ace or PP.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 AM

Nick.. out of curiosity, what is your cold calling % in PT?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as preflop goes, it says in SSHE to call a raise w/ QJs if there are 3 players (the raiser and two others) in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's talking about callers in front of you.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as preflop goes, it says in SSHE to call a raise w/ QJs if there are 3 players (the raiser and two others) in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yeah. that's why I said "in front of you." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Bravos - 90 out of 6074 hands or 1.5%...too high? This is something I never looked at, but probably a huge leak if this is too high..thanks for pointing it out to me.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation, I called because the raiser is a very loose raiser with a wide range of PFR hands...

[/ QUOTE ]
Looser than the stats would suggest? If so, you need to include such information in the original post. If not, you're behind to his range and there won't be enough other players in the pot to play this as a speculative hand against a raise, so I'd dump it.

Flop looks good to me.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yeah. that's why I said "in front of you." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Bravos - 90 out of 6074 hands or 1.5%...too high? This is something I never looked at, but probably a huge leak if this is too high..thanks for pointing it out to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty high... I've cold called 87 times from my last 33427 hands of FR.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 AM

Don't cold call in these spots Nick.
If you think he's stealing, pop it. If you don't, fold.

Remember you are not just playing against the weak end of his range. You can be virtually drawing dead against a raiser with an easily dominated hand like this.

Have a look at p.61 SSHE again.