Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t the Bellagio have a more \"modern\" waitlist

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, if I glance ar the screen and see 5 or 6 named on an interest-list for a game I'm interested in i might go ahead and put my name on the list too.
But if it's on a clipboard I'm not going to do that because I'm just not going to see it and I'm not going to be looking for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point. There have been times when I have gone to Foxwoods and seen a game (or limit) that isn't normally spread and have joined the list to play it. If the list was done on paper, it wouldn't even occur to me to search for this random game/limit and I'd just play my usual.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM

When I played at Mirage for the first time, I had a hard time adjusting. When it got crowded in there and the floor was walking around with the list with my name on it, I couldn't hear a thing. I basically tried to stick really close to either one of the games I was getting in or I had to at least keep an eye on the floor, if not outright shadow them. Granted, this was my Vegas virginity showing, but I thought it was extremely difficult. MGM, on the other hand, was surprisingly smooth. Big screen with my name on it so I could see how many more players were in line before me.

I'm probably spoiled by how they run it at Canterbury. The big whiteboard in the front with two attendants and microphones. Floorpeople walking the room and helping find seats. Speakers in the pit and the bathrooms. Not a giant room like Bellagio, but I've never had a problem there.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm probably spoiled by how they run it at Canterbury. The big whiteboard in the front with two attendants and microphones. Floorpeople walking the room and helping find seats. Speakers in the pit and the bathrooms. Not a giant room like Bellagio, but I've never had a problem there.

[/ QUOTE ]

those attendants are actually brushes, and is what I wish they had at Bellagio. But when you look at the actual real estate available to be used it kinda makes sense that they dont have a brush system. I love the old-school dry erase boards, it reminds me of California Split every time I see it (TT was the first name called in the lowball list in the first scene of the move - a premonition of things to come?)
Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Joker, I was told for Bellagio poker room that there was a $20 list and a $50 list and that most people just tip the $20 but the $50 will get you almost immediate seating because few people do it. Haven't tried it myself as I almost invariably play table games in Vegas. The irritating thing is that the floor doesn't tell you this or even hint in any way that I can pick up on, rather, I had to get the information from some other players. Why don't they just tell you that in exchange for such and such tip, you can get such and such added service? Don't make a mystery out of it. Some of us come from areas where tipping the floor is not allowed or at least frowned on. We are not psychics. Oh well, rant over. If I get a chance to play again and try the tipping trick, I'll let you know how it works. I have never heard anyone say $10 is enough.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Edge34 - When I was talking about occasional frsutrating experiences trying to get on a list and the floor being everywhere BUT the front-podium much of the time I was thinking specifically of a couple times I played at Mirage.

Like you, it was partly a result of my Vegas-noobness.

But for crying-out-loud, poker-rooms are supposed to cater to people who don't know all the ins and outs of this stuff.
It's supposed to be easy, not intmidating.

I had played live-poker before in Tunica so I knew that what I wanted to do was find whoever has the damn list so I could get in a game.
But if I was completely new to it I could easily have gotten so intimidated and frustrated that I might have said, "F-this. I don't know what the hell is going on" and just left.

I imagine this is how it works for many would-be noob poker-players.

With an automated list that everyone can see it is immediately obvious to any noob walking past what types of games are being spread and that you need to get into the list to get into that game.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Joker, I was told for Bellagio poker room that there was a $20 list and a $50 list and that most people just tip the $20 but the $50 will get you almost immediate seating because few people do it. Haven't tried it myself as I almost invariably play table games in Vegas. The irritating thing is that the floor doesn't tell you this or even hint in any way that I can pick up on, rather, I had to get the information from some other players. Why don't they just tell you that in exchange for such and such tip, you can get such and such added service? Don't make a mystery out of it. Some of us come from areas where tipping the floor is not allowed or at least frowned on. We are not psychics. Oh well, rant over. If I get a chance to play again and try the tipping trick, I'll let you know how it works. I have never heard anyone say $10 is enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all a joke and one of the primary reasons I do everything possible to avoid playing at Bellagio.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bah, sometimes I wonder if this is all rumors that are spread by irate locals/tourists. People were recently fired allegedly for this reason, how soon we all forget.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(a brush or florr can't carry the list with them and make changes while they are walking around the room).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I like electronic lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can still jack you with an electronic list. It happened to my friend at Borgata about a year ago. I raised a huge fit. We wanted to play 2/4 (he is not a good poker player) and came back from lunch. They put us to the top of the list. They called me first. Then about 10 minutes later called some random guy that got put in front of my friend. I raised hell for like an hour because he had to just sit there and wait.

I am sure some palms were greased.

Greg
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(a brush or florr can't carry the list with them and make changes while they are walking around the room).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why I like electronic lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can still jack you with an electronic list. It happened to my friend at Borgata about a year ago. I raised a huge fit. We wanted to play 2/4 (he is not a good poker player) and came back from lunch. They put us to the top of the list. They called me first. Then about 10 minutes later called some random guy that got put in front of my friend. I raised hell for like an hour because he had to just sit there and wait.

I am sure some palms were greased.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

for a 2/4 game? lol. In reality its often a friend of the staff, a regular, an off-duty dealer; there are lots of people who get special privileges above and beyond the average player.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Borgata routinely re-adds people who miss their game second on a list. I know from experience.