Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Poker: Passion or Addiction?

It's hard to focus on much else when poker is what you think about all the time. Even if it is just a hobby.

That being said, if i'm that passionate about the game is poker something i should continue to pursue, or is it like alcohol.. fun to take in, but a certain kind of distance should always be held from it
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Poker: Passion or Addiction?

Well, as long as it doesn't start to affect other areas of your life I think you good. As for me, poker is a bit of an obsession. That being said, it doesn't affect my job (I play for fun), I still pay my bills, I don't spend money that I can't afford to lose, and when I do lose I don't try to catch up with bill money. Therefore, I think that I have a very healthy obsession with my main hobby.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 PM

while i do adhere to the notion of "playing for fun" and "only playing what can be lost" it does contradict somewhat to the notion of "playing to win"

i guess there's a very delicate balancing act one must make with poker
Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 AM

Winning player = Passion

Losing player = Addiction
Old 07-13-2007, 01:02 AM

20 Questions

I wouldn't take the results as necessarily indicative of a problem (or lack of one), but still worth thinking about.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Caveat: I'm not a pro by any means.

However, if you are considering taking this up as a long-term money-making enterprise, I would imagine you'll have to draw up the equivalent of a business plan, where you set tangible goals geared toward a long-term enterprise. That way, you have a good idea of where you're at, and whether you're successful or not.

If it's just for fun, then the rule of "bet with your head, not over it" will apply.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 AM

Just like anything when you first begin, it seems all confusing. Add in chasing losses and trying to break even..I think the longer you play, the more you can step away and think about other things.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 AM

The line between passion and addiction in any field is a thin one. Basically, so long as poker is not hurting you or those around you, you're fine. When it does start to drag you down in other areas of your life, that's when it becomes a problem that you need to distance yourself from. The same is true of any person in any field/hobby.

When we start painting our faces, waving around giant foam fingers, and getting into street brawls over who's better, Ivey or Negreanu, then we definitely need to take a step back.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 AM

there is definitely a fine line and knowing which side of the line you are on is no easy matter. looking back i think i can fairly easily say that i fall towards the addiction side of the line. i play and think about the game a lot less than a lot of players that would insist they do not have an addiction(although this was not necesarrily true when i was younger).

i def do not think it is as simple as winning players are not addicted. that is silly. if something can control your life and cause adverse consequences then it is an addiction and the fact that you may make money doing so is irrelevant. that would be like saying a drug dealer that does not get arrested and makes money does not have a problem.

im of the thinking that it is human to be addicted and every person has a number of addictions be it eating, reading, work, drugs, or alcoholism. the key in my mind is being brutally honest with yourself and striking a balance that allows you to feed your passions while at the same time leading a healthy life. if anyone thinks im being high and mighty keep in mind that i often dont achieve this I just think that it is something to shoot for.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Winning player = Passion

Losing player = Addiction

[/ QUOTE ]

Some time after first starting to play, sure. I don't think anyone starts out as a winning player, which would imply all novices are simply addicts.

IMO, if you're playing at your limit, can afford your losses, and are exercising control over your relationship with the game, I'd say that's more indicative of passion than addiction. Addiction, after all, implies a lack of control.