Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: high stakes 3-5-07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha it's funny to see all you trolls jealous and bitter of succesful live poker pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. I am sure if we got to watch all these brilliant posters play poker for 5 straight hours with their cards shown on TV we would all marvel at how perfect they play.

Maybe they are playing a hand a certain way to throw off their opponents the next hand? Maybe harman checks the second nuts so when she does bet next time someone may lay down a big hand thinking that she wouldn't bet here without the absolute nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best internet players do that too.

Personally, I think that *most* of these name pros are WAY underestimated on this forum (save for Sam Farha, who supposedly is a beast at PLO, and Victor Ramdin, who seems like a total fish after seeing the JT hand). While it seems most of them are lacking in the fundamentals, they make up for it with their reads. If that isn't the answer, why aren't their more internet pros playing in this game and crushing it? I don't believe it's that much a matter of bankroll. I'm pretty sure Brian was staked for over 50% of his buy-in.

The fact of the matter is live is a totally different game. Interestly enough, I think it's more difficult to understand.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha it's funny to see all you trolls jealous and bitter of succesful live poker pros.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. I am sure if we got to watch all these brilliant posters play poker for 5 straight hours with their cards shown on TV we would all marvel at how perfect they play.

Maybe they are playing a hand a certain way to throw off their opponents the next hand? Maybe harman checks the second nuts so when she does bet next time someone may lay down a big hand thinking that she wouldn't bet here without the absolute nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
The best internet players do that too.

Personally, I think that *most* of these name pros are WAY underestimated on this forum (save for Sam Farha, who supposedly is a beast at PLO, and Victor Ramdin, who seems like a total fish after seeing the JT hand). While it seems most of them are lacking in the fundamentals, they make up for it with their reads. If that isn't the answer, why aren't their more internet pros playing in this game and crushing it? I don't believe it's that much a matter of bankroll. I'm pretty sure Brian was staked for over 50% of his buy-in.

The fact of the matter is live is a totally different game. Interestly enough, I think it's more difficult to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way Brian needs a stake for this game. He might've let some friends buy a share of him, but he knows how massively +EV he is in this game compared to the games he usually plays and probably has most of himself. If you have first hand info, I stand corrected, but I'm assuming those 50% was an assumption of yours.

Live play is different, but not different enough to even come close to making up for the skill difference between someone like Brian and überdonkeys like Eli and Farha.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way Brian needs a stake for this game. He might've let some friends buy a share of him, but he knows how massively +EV he is in this game compared to the games he usually plays and probably has most of himself. If you have first hand info, I stand corrected, but I'm assuming those 50% was an assumption of yours.

Live play is different, but not different enough to even come close to making up for the skill difference between someone like Brian and überdonkeys like Eli and Farha.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7463178

I was wrong about the over 50% part. He sold 31%. It's beside the point though, which is that there are quite a $2kNL+ online pros, but you don't really hear about them playing in really big games. If they're such a favorite, then they can surely get staked.

I'm not saying Brian isn't a favorite. I'm sure he is. It's just that I think a lot of people are underestimating the ability of most of the live pros. On Barry's website ( http://www.barrygreenstein.com/player_analysis/ ) he does mention Eli and Sammy both being weak at NLHE.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why aren't their more internet pros playing in this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there's a limit to the number of nobodies a show like this can put on. Your average GSN viewer is watching to see Doyle or Daniel or some familiar name player drag a pot with thousands of actual dollars in it.

And this game is a creation of/for TV. There are probably plenty of internet pros in similar games everywhere...it's not like this is some regular game that just fell onto TV and you can just show up and put your name on the waiting list.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why aren't their more internet pros playing in this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there's a limit to the number of nobodies a show like this can put on. Your average GSN viewer is watching to see Doyle or Daniel or some familiar name player drag a pot with thousands of actual dollars in it.

And this game is a creation of/for TV. There are probably plenty of internet pros in similar games everywhere...it's not like this is some regular game that just fell onto TV and you can just show up and put your name on the waiting list.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like you have to get invited to this game as it is in a back room
Old 03-08-2007, 06:26 PM

I think Brandon Adams posted a while ago that he and Prahlad tried unsuccessfully to get on season 3, you can't just decide to play.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my Tivo for next Monday shows a new episode at 8 PM and 10 PM and a repeat at the usual new episode time at 9 PM. (All Eastern Time). Anyone know the deal for Monday, 3/12?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that Tivo is having an issue with the new Daylight Savings Time rules. I noticed that all the programs after Sunday are an hour earlier than usual. It looks to me like they're just changing the recording times instead of issuing a software change for the clock.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 PM

TimTim,
I hope that isnt the case, cause I wont be here on monday and on an Airplane and if it [censored] up the recording, I will be mega pissed!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM

Sbrugby's last hand lost back more than what he "smoked" with AQ against Edog. And Wasika played better than him obviously. Wasika did not run much better than him, but he played better and left as a winner.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sbrugby's last hand lost back more than what he "smoked" with AQ against Edog.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it didn't.

[ QUOTE ]
And Wasika played better than him obviously. Wasika did not run much better than him, but he played better and left as a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's arguable. Paul's strategy to start tight and then open up was more sound (but also probably wouldn't have worked for Brian), and most of his later moves worked/got lucky. But he over-protected his hands too much- you got to keep these guys around if you're going to play that style. And his QJ OESD line vs. Todd's AK was pretty bad IMO.

Brian was probably over-aggressive, but it was starting to pay off at the end. None of his suited connectors ever hit big. He probably could have made a lot more on that KKT flop vs. Eli, but the turn and river- plus Eli not betting the turn which he usually will- were unlucky.

Flip-flop their hands in that AT vs. A7 with the AK72 board, and their results might be reversed (btw, how good was Gabe's cemmentary on that hand?). Just way too few hands to evaluate adequately.