Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Limp-raise is for wimps. Try the cold-call/4-bet. Low Content

The lesson to learn here: 6/12 players like to gambooool

Three limps and hero raises T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the HJ.
SB cold-calls 1.67 bets,
BB calls,
UTG calls,
UTG+1 raises to 3,
MP calls 2 more,
Hero calls,
SB raises to 4 (completing the cold-call/4-bet)
Call, call
UTG+1 makes it 5 (5 bet cap)
all call.

For those who frequent Artichoke Joes, UTG+1 is the strangely ethnic looking guy who wears a big gold chain with I think a golden eagle coin in it and who's hair (and come to think of it face) look kind of like tommy lee jones in the movie JFK.

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+1 who bets. All call. UTG+1 says to me "You gotta raise that to get em out!". I look at him like he has 2 heads.

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 leads again, and is raised by a loose passive. I fold here, and the rest of the hand is a blur, except for the showdown, where UTG+1 reveals 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Small blind did not show, but he proclaimed (honestly I think) that he "had a straight draw".

There is a question here: When you get limp-raised (live) by an unknown, what kind of range do you give him credit for? I've seen maniacs who do it with suited connectors and them I know how to handle, but I'd never seen a "so far reasonable" player do it with 66. Is this common in the games you play?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Limp-raise is for wimps. Try the cold-call/4-bet. Low Content

Interestingly, his cold-call/3bet/cap makes sense for set value given the 6 callers. First time around it makes sense because he wants as many cold callers as possible. The second time around and 3rd time around he figures everyone will call.

I don't recognize your description of the villain, but I'll guess that he did this to gamboool, not because of the set value.

I've seen the limp raise generally with AA and suited connectors, and I myself have limp raised a pocket pair when it looked like we would see 6+ callers.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The lesson to learn here: 6/12 players like to gambooool

[/ QUOTE ]

I play at AJ's sometimes. I have had some fun times at the 6/12 tables since as you say, they love to gamboool - One morning the 6/12 game was 5-bet capped 70% of the time. Usually by the UTG doing a live blind.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM

I usually play B&M 3/6 mostly. I’m guessing 50-60% of the time limp/reraise is AA/KK. The rest of the time it is someone playing erratically or just trying to build a big pot with a good drawing hand.

Now the cold call/cap line is almost always someone titling or just figuring it is going to get capped anyway.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 PM

It's funny this came up. I just did this last night with 66 when I limped UTG, the guy behind me raised and got five more callers.

Usually I see ordinary players having suited broadways in that spot. I also don't see backraises real often in the games I play in.