Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Default 1/2 Stud 8/b: Playing a Hi hand

Wanted a line check on me playing high hands in 8/b. Everything except the river look fine?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (7.40 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (9.40 BB)
Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Stud 8/b: Playing a Hi hand

Raising on 3rd would have been bad, limping is OK IMO though...its close between folding but limping is ok if you play well on the ensueing streets.

4th is good. Depending on the action I probably would have called one bet there are no one caught a true gem. They caught good though...

5th. nice

6th. holla

7th. yup
Old 12-08-2006, 08:09 PM

I figured calling 3rd wasn't bad because this was a pretty passive game with raises on 3rd maybe 10 - 15% of the time, the low cards showing aren't all that great. I figured if somebody caught an ace and started to show some strength in a small pot, I could get out.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM

why is raising 3rd bad? seems pretty standard to me, especially with an Ace up vs an 8.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:36 AM

This all looks fine. What's wrong with betting the river?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 AM

There's also a Six and a Five in. You're taking high pair up against three low cards. I wouldn't want to put any more money in than I had to. And with an Ace kicker in particular, I'm not folding it. I think that third is a clear limp.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM

yes, the reason to raise is generally to limit the field, and that seems unlikely here. limping in from late position is a nice way to play big pairs for a several reasons:
1 you can get away from door pairs, live aces, and suited connectors without a second thought
2 you disguise your hand, especially when you pair your door
3 you mix up your play so that when you limp with a flush draw with 2 babes, you'll get more respect.
4 when you do fold 4th it will look like you played a speculative hand cheaply and failed to improve it on 4th .. this helps to prevent a tight image of laying down big pairs

the disadvantage is mostly related to disguising your hand, in that it will be more difficult to limit the field vs loose players who find reasons to call .. also, taking charge of the hand can help you get information based on the players reaction to the strength you showed from the getgo.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:16 PM

I missed that the 8 also called, I thought it was just one caller and the bringin.