Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 AM

Default ***Official Pac-10 Basketball Thread***

I was barely able to hold back from making a UCLA thread. UCLA is gonna kick some ass. OH YEAH! How about that Mercer team, eh? Also, loving that USC has a player that goes 12-32 from the field. Vs. Portland St. no UCLA player took more than 9fga. I love that. Anyway, I'm surely biased but let this be the Pac-10 thread. UCLA, Oregon, Wassu should be the frontrunners. SC might be good. Who else should we keep an eye on?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: ***Official Pac-10 Basketball Thread***

I'd just like to say that I fully support the idea of conference threads instead of cluttering the board with a million team threads.

99,000 and counting
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 AM

USC has one senior on their roster and he doesn't even start. I think this is the rebuild/let Mayo carry us while he tries to get into the NBA year.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Forgot to include Arizona in initial post. My pre-season ranking (giving it not enough research):

1.UCLA
2.Oregon
3.Wash St.
4.Arizona
5.USC
6.Stan
7.Wash
8.Cal
9.OSU
10.ASU

Stanford may do better. The Lopez twins return. Wash returns Dentmon, Appleby, Brockman, but to be honest, these players ain't that great. The top 6 teams look strong.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:05 AM

Oregon returns Porter, Hairston, Leunen, Taylor.
WSU: Baynes Cowgill, Rochestie, Low, weaver
UCLA: Collison, Mata, Shipp, Mbah a Moute and adds KLove.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to include Arizona in initial post. My pre-season ranking (giving it not enough research):

1.UCLA
2.Oregon
3.Wash St.
4.Arizona
5.USC
6.Wash
7.Cal
8.Stan
9.OSU
10.ASU

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't do enough research either, but I don't think you can put USC above Stanford. I think Stanford is top 5, but this is probably just the sports media talking. USC also has an absolutely brutal schedule, which includes all the Pac 10 plus a game at Memphis and home against Kansas. That means they'll have six games against top 10 teams (if you go by the AP poll).

How good is Sagarin compared to the polls in the first weeks of the season? It seems he'd need a bit of a sample size before the ratings looked anything close to reliable.

Going by the AP poll, the Pac 10 is the toughest conference this year, with 5/10 being in the top 25 (Big 12 and Big East have 4 I think I just glanced over it). Its too early to know anything for sure, but I don't think the Pac is overrated. Its going to be a tough year for everybody.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 AM

I think my UMD Terps are gonna play the Bruins. Ugh we're gonna get run off the floor is my prediction. No solid rotation yet, team full of freshman, undersized front court. Their wins have been VERY unimpressive so far. Gist is pretty damn good, and the soph. guard play is solid but aside from that I have no idea what to expect.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 AM

WSU fan here... I'm so excited about this season. It was only a couple years ago that WSU had no talent, no hope, no fan support. Kinda uncharted waters for the cougs to actually have some anticipation for the basketball season.

Anyways, my preseason rankings:

1 UCLA
2 WSU
3 Stanford
4 Arizona
5 Oregon
6 Cal
7 USC
8 UW
9 ASU
10 OSU
Old 11-13-2007, 04:46 AM

Love to hear from KyleB and JaredL (Oregon homers IIRC), but shouldn't Oregon be really good here? Sure, they lose Aaron Brooks, but the other 4 returning starters are pretty F-ing good. Basically the same kickass lineup from last year that manage to pull one out vs. UNLV in the sweet 16 (living in LV has made me a UNLV homer too). In my rankings I probably gave short shrift to Stanford, but how do you rank Stanford above Oregon and Oregon below Arizona? I loved watching WSU last year too, but can't see them as better than Oregon. Between Porter and Taylor, I see Brooks as being replaceable.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:49 AM

Actually, Oregon is similar to UCLA here. Both teams lose their leading scorer, but both Afflalo and Brooks are replaceable by the other starters already on the floor. KLove will be the difference for UCLA, but Oregon already had the complete team with Leunen. Of course, UCLA has more talent than Oregon, but the point is Oregon doesn't have that big a drop-off IMHO.