Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Fred Thompson attacks Fox News for being biased

Thompson doesn't need Fox to sabotage his campaign. Every day that goes by he sticks both feet in his mouth--one day saying being at a gun show is "paradise," the next calling New York Cit immoral. He'll self-destruct all by himself.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thompson doesn't need Fox to sabotage his campaign. Every day that goes by he sticks both feet in his mouth--one day saying being at a gun show is "paradise," the next calling New York Cit immoral. He'll self-destruct all by himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
This actually sounds pretty smart to me. Think "King of the Hill".
Old 11-27-2007, 12:22 AM

Fred Thompson has not generated much excitement or interest in his campaign. I have no clue what issues he's campaigning on and/or where he stands on them. Perhaps this is something to stimulate more interest in his campaign.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 AM

My biggest problem with Fox News isn't that they are biased or that people watch them, but I get the distinct feeling watching Neil Cavuto's eyes or anyone of the other anchors that they know how manipulative they are and take a perverse pleasure in it. Alot of people out there have their political biases reinforced daily by Fox, but nothing is so sadistic as the reveling on the Network knowing that they are steeped in profit from it.

I wouldn't ban it, but I have my moral lines too.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest problem with Fox News isn't that they are biased or that people watch them, but I get the distinct feeling watching Neil Cavuto's eyes or anyone of the other anchors that they know how manipulative they are and take a perverse pleasure in it. Alot of people out there have their political biases reinforced daily by Fox, but nothing is so sadistic as the reveling on the Network knowing that they are steeped in profit from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, you name it, all are biased. Fox is singled out because it is the only one with a conservative bias, but when you look at the things CBS and CNN have been guilty of in their editing or outright use of fake sources, well, that's no good either.

They all present themselves as "fair and balanced" even if Fox is the only channel that actually uses that as their tagline. All have their issues. The people who really care about news will find it (like many on the boards like these on the net).

Basically - Fox-bashing is popular, but to be fair you'd have to equally bash pretty much all mainstream media outlets.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 AM

Fred Thompson's platform can be summed up by: "Four more years".
Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 AM

Default It Was a Bad Interview By Chris....

[ QUOTE ]
Fox news tried to discredit Fred's campaign using commentary from ultra right wing conservative nob gobblers to suggest voters where not buying his views.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. I'm no fan of Thompson for his support of McCain-Feingold. This alone should disqualify him from office.
2. I do not consider Fred Barnes to be a conservative. He is part of the Rockefeller big govt wing of the Repub party. So C.Wallace's use of the Barnes clip was meaningless to me. I'm a conservative and I think Fred Barnes is a nitwit. To call him a conservative is an insult to conservatives...
3. I think this was a lousy interview by Chris Wallace. His angle of criticizing Thompson campaign serves no purpose. I'd rather he hammer Thompson on the ***ISSUES***. It was a WORTHLESS interview and a biased interview against Thompson.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CBS, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, you name it, all are biased. Fox is singled out because it is the only one with a conservative bias, but when you look at the things CBS and CNN have been guilty of in their editing or outright use of fake sources, well, that's no good either.

They all present themselves as "fair and balanced" even if Fox is the only channel that actually uses that as their tagline. All have their issues. The people who really care about news will find it (like many on the boards like these on the net).

Basically - Fox-bashing is popular, but to be fair you'd have to equally bash pretty much all mainstream media outlets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they are all biased, perhaps equally; I don't really watch enough television to tell because I've been getting my news from the Internet mostly. But I think Fox is a bit different from the other networks in that its unabashedly populist. Like the New York Times is biased, but it will get a bunch of professors, academics, politicians with plausible arguments, and importantly, they really have researched and believe those arguments, because the truth is hard thing to get right.

Fox is hard-hitting and flashy, ready with Insta-Pundits to tell what YOU want to hear, no matter how ridiculous the argument or position is logically. That's what has made them so successful in grabbing market share from the other news networks. But that same attitude, especially when those anchors preaching the Gospel don't believe it, is very distasteful to me.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM

As an avid cable news watcher (I really enjoy the theater of it all, heh), I don't know what is so different about Fox News than the others. At least not to the extent being alluded to in this thread. Fox might be a shade or two worse, but I think one has to be pretty biased and sensational himself to think Fox actually stands out from the others.

They might be less coy about which side of the right/left fence they're on, but that's really it. In terms of depth of discussion matter, broad perspective, etc., they all seem remarkably the same to me.

I would say they all contribute fairly equally to the general mindfuck of misinformation/how things work.

EDIT: I guess I am repeating Edge. I had meant to send this like a half hour ago.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fox is worse about it.