Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Default please to be helping me stop lose money [stats post]

Let me start by saying that I'm fairly new to this forum but love all the great things I read here. Enough sucking up...I need help. I played fr somewhat successfully for about 2 years and i moved to 6 max about 2 months ago. I did okay for about 10k hands from 1/2 to 2/4 was taking shots at 3/6 but i was(am) a nit. So with the help of Oink I loosened up a little, but I've been having serious problems with my results since then. I recognize the issue with the sample size but if things don't turn around soon I won't have the br to get a decent sample. I feel like i've been able to get most of my numbers near the range I'd like, my game just isn't there yet, which makes me think that my biggest problems are post flop. Thank you all for your review and insightful comments in this thread and others. This is just embarrassing:

thanks all.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: please to be helping me stop lose money [stats post]

you fold your sb a lot and you call your bb a lot.

also you're running/playing bad wrt showing down. 36/47 at showdown is superbad over 7k hands. 27% ftrb is very low.

oh and position stats are cool
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 AM

Your stats look good to be honest. I think you're running bad. Your sample size is way too small to be analyzing win rate.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your stats look good to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. Having a VPIP of 24 and defending your bb as much as he does means he is leaving a lot of money on the table when in position by folding too much.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 AM

you have to win inorder to stop losing
Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 AM

When sweating you I noticed you opened some hands in a 2/4 game that I wouldnt open. Like A7o in the HJ. There was also a few other examples. So I still think you need to work a bit on preflop.

You also seemed to have issues with hand reading. Its something thats gonna improve as you go a long. However, trying to play a LAGTAG style requires fairly good skills postflop. In particular at 2/4.

But Miles is right about your SD stats. You have been on a REALLY bad run here. I was at a similar run a few days back so its something that happens.

One thing tho. I think you can push your ATSB a little higher and prolly fold your BB a little more. To like 50. Your fold SB is a bit high as well. Try to 3-bet button steals by TAGs a lot. They will fold soooo much postflop.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time, this is great stuff.

Miles:

[ QUOTE ]
you fold your sb a lot and you call your bb a lot.

also you're running/playing bad wrt showing down. 36/47 at showdown is superbad over 7k hands. 27% ftrb is very low.

oh and position stats are cool

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been shooting for 85% fold sb, maybe I’ll try to get that down to 80%? I had also been shooting for 45% fold bb, Oink suggested about 50% so I’ll try that. As for running/playing bad, running bad I can deal with, playing bad is what I’m trying to avoid. This may be naïve, but are you referring to when you say position stats?

Absolution:

[ QUOTE ]
Your stats look good to be honest. I think you're running bad. Your sample size is way too small to be analyzing win rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, full ring variance has nothing on short handed. Nothing.

Hobbs:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. Having a VPIP of 24 and defending your bb as much as he does means he is leaving a lot of money on the table when in position by folding too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I’ve had trouble bring my vpip up to 24 but I’ll continue to work on getting it higher.

inferno:

[ QUOTE ]
you have to win inorder to stop losing

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker wisdom for the ages, thanks.

Oink:

[ QUOTE ]
When sweating you I noticed you opened some hands in a 2/4 game that I wouldnt open. Like A7o in the HJ. There was also a few other examples. So I still think you need to work a bit on preflop.

You also seemed to have issues with hand reading. Its something thats gonna improve as you go a long. However, trying to play a LAGTAG style requires fairly good skills postflop. In particular at 2/4.

But Miles is right about your SD stats. You have been on a REALLY bad run here. I was at a similar run a few days back so its something that happens.

One thing tho. I think you can push your ATSB a little higher and prolly fold your BB a little more. To like 50. Your fold SB is a bit high as well. Try to 3-bet button steals by TAGs a lot. They will fold soooo much postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will continue to work on pf, stealing more in the CO and OTB and maybe pulling it back a little UTG and in the HJ.

I agree with hand reading problems. I was extremely impressed by your ability to do that when we played. A couple times you told me, “He doesn’t have a flush, bet.” And I thought to myself, “How does he know he doesn’t have a flush.” Of course you were right. I had similar thoughts like 4 times in that one session. I guess experience and playing close attention to the hand is the best teacher? I’ll work on it for sure.

I can’t thank you all enough.

-numbnuts
Old 11-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Just a quick note, at the 1/2-2/4 level you will making your money by value betting and being patient to a certain extent. Yes you will find some players that you can run over but trying to play a 30/20 or 35/25 style is difficult when starting out. I have no doubt that some can play very lag/tag at this level and do well but those are the same players that play higher with the same type of game using their hand reading skills. You probably know this but you need to find a site with a good rb/bonus at this level to off-set the rake. When looking at the rake, I think that is another reason to play a more traditional 25-28/15-18 style at this level. Also, pay attention to how often your opponents are attempting to steal. VS a regular 1/2-2/4 player on most sites you can tighten up a bit in the BB compared to the 3/6 and higher games. I think some of the problems people have is using the stats of a winning 5/10-10/20 player and trying to play the same game at the low stakes. Most of your $ you make at this level with come from bonus/rb, and I would suggest at least 500bb as a minimum even at this level. Also, if your playing on a site with a bbj, the low limit games can't be beat in terms of bb/100 if you don't count rb/bonus..etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Absolution:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, full ring variance has nothing on short handed. Nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously though, even if you're losing after 30K hands, it doesn't mean a whole lot at short handed poker unless you're down like 500BB (even then it can happen.) 10K hands aren't even worth looking at for me. I'm not saying that looking at your stats after 10K hands isn't helpful, but I would concentrate on your positional stats and such and not your win rate or W$SD.