Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 AM

Default NLTRN - Sucker straight in 3bet pot

Villian raises most of the time out of the SB. He's pretty loose and I suspect he's floats sometimes but I haven't called him down yet. I've played pretty tight so far and this is the first time I've 3bet.

Poker Stars, $33 + $1.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds, 2 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: 1,570
Hero (BB): 1,430

Pre-Flop: (45) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">SB raises to 90</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to 300</font>, SB calls 210

Flop: (600) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 300</font>, SB calls 300

Turn: (1,200) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets 970 and is All-In</font>, Hero ...

I'm having a tough time making sense of this hand b/c my gut tells me this is always an ace, but most hands with an ace either push or fold that flop (right???)

Also, is check-folding the flop or conversely pushing the turn better than the line I took?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: NLTRN - Sucker straight in 3bet pot

bump
Old 10-05-2007, 10:37 AM

There's nothing to bump, you played this terribly. I'm not sure if I like the RR here preflop. It's going to be hard to play this hand OOP at these stacks/blinds. If you get 4-bet, goodnight. If you get called, good luck if a K, A, or Q hits. I'll 4-bet here at a later stacks where I can committ easier and/or against a tight player who I have history with.

Flop is an easy check. It's just a terrible board to bet on. When he calls your 3-bet, you can narrow his range a bunch. So, he's either going to fold 88 (but won't bet on it on this board) or he's going to call/RR with Qs and Ks on this board.

The turn seems like an easy fold. You already have two of the 9s, so his propensity to bet a 9 here is already minimized. He has AQ/AT/AK a vast majority of the game.

Barry
Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 AM

I actually saw myself playing this the same was as OP, but after reading BarryLyndons reply I see that 3-betting a hand like 99 oop can really put you in some tough situations.

So thumbs up Barry, very good post!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 AM

i see no problem with 3betting 99pre, it is super standard. yeah it puts you in tough situations, but good HU is a series of tough situations. I think i would have checked flop though. turn is a fold though, since his thought process is usually:

"he 3bet pre so he has some big cards, the flop is big cards, therefore he has 2pair or set, therefore if i shove my ace he will call and i will get rich!"

this is the case vs a bad opponent at least.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

I'm not sure if 3betting is always right, but I think not 3betting 99 can put you in tougher situations. Do you check fold a K73 flop?

Hmm, yeah betting the flop is pretty terrible in retrospect. My thinking at the time was that he folds everything but K's and J's (including aces especially), but that's probably a bit too optimistic. Plus I get pushed off the hand by flush draws or J's way too much.

I guess the turn has to be a fold. I was clearly still on tilt when I posted. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 PM

3 betting preflop with 9's is fine if you 3 bet with a wide range of hands .
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting preflop with 9's is fine if you 3 bet with a wide range of hands .

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting 99 OOP is more than fine, but against an unknown this early, I think it's a mess.

The thing with HUSNGs is that at the low blind levels, I hate getting involved in big pots OOP. They just create the WORST [censored] spots. I like spots OOP where stack sizes are like 10% of my stack, not %40 percent. I don't like making decisions on a K Q 10 board with a pot of 600 and 1200 remaining, because that just sucks. And, I couldn't give a [censored] about picking up 90 chips if he happens to fold Ax or 55.

Now, at 30/60, when I see a raise to 180 and there is already 240 in the pot, I can do something that commits me to flops easier or that forces my opponent to make a decision for all his chips. Now I'm more than happy to 3-bet with 99, 88, AJo, and other hands depending on his range.

Of course, in cash games, the three-bet with 99 is almost mandatory, IMO, but HUSNGs early stages has a structure that creates for more unique situations, IMO.

Barry
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting 99 OOP is more than fine, but against an unknown this early, I think it's a mess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Whether you raise or call with 9's often times has more to do with your opponent's tendencies than anything else .

If it's correct to re-raise in a cash game then there is no simple argument to prove that it's incorrect to just call in the early rounds of an sng .

To put it succinctly , your decision to re-raise or call depends on several factors :

1) Your opponent's raising range and his propensity to call you with many inferior hands .

2)If your opponent makes plenty of postflop mistakes , then you should lean towards smooth calling even oop .

3) If your opponent is better than you postflop , then you want to increase the size of your preflop re-raise and hope that it ends without seeing a flop .

The list goes on and on ...