Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Default The small blind

I play 6 max NL10 but i never know what to do if its folded round to me in SB. I know there are many variables but generally what hands do you play in the SB when everyone else has folded and what hands do you raise OOP in the SB
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: The small blind

raising>folding>calling imo.

I usually raise with any A, any K, any pp, or a hand like QJs or J10s.

My limping range is quite small, usually mid suited connectors. I fold everything else, including hands like Q 8.

keep in mind that you'll be oop for the entire hand
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM

raise 85% fold 15% call 0% - I don't really care what my cards are in this spot - it's more based on if i've been caught out of line - how much credibility do my raises have - how nitty is BB.

So if you can get away with it raise 100%
Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM

This is very villain dependent.
First off you need to look at their 'fold to steal' % to gauge how to proceed against them.
Bsballs raising range seems fine as a general rule against decent or unknown players.
However against a very tight player, say 12/8 with a high fold to steal %, I think you can really ramp up your raising range approaching ATC.
Against a very loose passive player, say 47/6/1, that I think I can outplay postflop, I'll limp a much higher %.
Against a solid player, say 19/16, Bsballs range seems fine.

Also always pay attention to whether this player is the type that clicks 'chk/fold' which will result in turbo muck when you raise. Its a nice tell to get.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 PM

When you are first starting out, you should fold everything but monsters, and those you should raise. This is your safe place you can always retreat to. It yields something like -8 BB/100, so if you are doing worse than that, immediately change to this strategy.

Of course, raising a large percentage of the time can be better. Consider the case of raising some amount near 100% of the time. You win 1.5BB whenever you are not called, so profitability is a function of Villain calling frequency, Your bet size, and whether he's sensitive to changing bet sizes.... You could go nuts and map it out:

It basically says that the most profitable raises are ~4BB when the villain doesn't call a lot and is pretty sensitive to raise sizes, and ~2.5 BB when he calls a lot but is generally insensitive to how much you're raising (i.e. looking only at his cards). It also tells me that once his calling frequency reaches ~30% I should look for a new strategy.

I like raising about 75%-80%, and backing off only when it becomes unprofitable.