Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Limit vs NL for learning purposes?

I have been playing FR no limit holdem for a while and a bit of limit FR. I am interested in playing 6-max aswell. but i am wondering which people think is the best way too start?

Would learning at limit benefit my NL game better or should i just jump in at NL? Ignore bankroll issues.

Couldnt think of a suitable forum to ask so i stuck it here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Limit vs NL for learning purposes?

Play 6 max NL. Jesus didn't die so you could play limit poker.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Lots of diff skillsets really. Just play whichever one you find more fun.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:50 PM

There is no definitive answer. IMHO FR Limit is better for the beginner due to (potentially) lower swings- thus making your Bank Roll go further at the outset.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM

I gave this one a bit of thought the other night, why I don't know. The conclusion that I came to is that limit is probably the best learning option for most players (excluding the few & proud who are naturally adept at the skills necessary for NL). My reasoning:

1) Your mistakes will cost you less. We're all going to make many mistakes as a beginning player (and still make mistakes as an experienced one); that's part of the cost of learning. No need to pay more than you have to.
2) Calling down is a lot cheaper. Most new players call down far too often when it should be obvious they're beaten.
3) For many players, there's less of a tilt risk in limit than in NL. It's one thing to have an opponent catch a 2-outer on the river to beat you; it's another when you get it all in on the turn & watch your entire stack slide over to him.
4) And probably most importantly, you're going to see quite a few more scenarios as a beginner playing limit than you will in NL. Why? Because you'll rarely be getting the correct pot odds to take bottom pair to the turn in NL, or to call the flop with a gutshot + backdoor flush draw. The more situations you see, and the experience you gain from each one, the more you're going to learn. This is especially critical in things like reading hands & playing the opponent (vs. playing the cards). Not to mention getting concepts like pot odds & equity down to the point where you don't have to think about them very often.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave this one a bit of thought the other night, why I don't know. The conclusion that I came to is that limit is probably the best learning option for most players (excluding the few & proud who are naturally adept at the skills necessary for NL). My reasoning:

1) Your mistakes will cost you less. We're all going to make many mistakes as a beginning player (and still make mistakes as an experienced one); that's part of the cost of learning. No need to pay more than you have to.
2) Calling down is a lot cheaper. Most new players call down far too often when it should be obvious they're beaten.
3) For many players, there's less of a tilt risk in limit than in NL. It's one thing to have an opponent catch a 2-outer on the river to beat you; it's another when you get it all in on the turn & watch your entire stack slide over to him.
4) And probably most importantly, you're going to see quite a few more scenarios as a beginner playing limit than you will in NL. Why? Because you'll rarely be getting the correct pot odds to take bottom pair to the turn in NL, or to call the flop with a gutshot + backdoor flush draw. The more situations you see, and the experience you gain from each one, the more you're going to learn. This is especially critical in things like reading hands & playing the opponent (vs. playing the cards). Not to mention getting concepts like pot odds & equity down to the point where you don't have to think about them very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above are reasons why you don't want to learn at Limit if you know you're going to be playing NL.

They play very differently. If bankroll is a problem, play micro stakes at NL.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM

I started playing NL a couple of years ago, but since there werne't many NL books at the time, I would read limit books and to be honest, it kind of messed me up.

So, my advice would be, play whatever you enjoy most and really study that alone so you don't get confused, then move on to other things.

Hope this helps!

friedace
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 PM

I would learn limit first. You need to learn the fundamentals of poker and learn them well before you step into nl. You could use your time at the limit table to practice things that will be essential in nl, such as picking up on tells, and if you make the wrong read it won't cost you much.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 AM

in limit you see more hands that go to showdown so you learn quicker
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 AM

I would read SSHE and spend a few weeks playing limit. Then you can choose what you like to play after you feel like you can handle at least 2/4 limit.