Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 AM

Default ***Official 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Penguins Thread***

Years of financially induced ineptitude have enabled the Pens to draft an amazing core of young talent led by Marc-Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, and of course the NHL's best player, the 20 year old (!) reigning scoring champion and current MVP, Sidney Crosby. Such talent enabled the Pens to make a 47 point leap between the '05-'06 and '06-'07 NHL seasons, good for the 4th best one season improvement in NHL History. With such talent a year older and more experienced (especially a bigger, stronger Crosby) and the assurance of a new arena on the way to replace the NHL's oldest, Pens fans expect nothing less than a deep play-off run. Perhaps this is the year that the Stanley Cup will return to Pittsburgh.

Let's Go Pens!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Penguins Thread***

I'm bumping this.

I'm watching the Pens/Devils right now, and I just can't stand Marc-Andre Fluery. He's an absolutely horrible goalie. He already gave up 15 goals in 4 games this season, and he gave up 5 goals in the Devils game.

The Penguins have an incredibly talented team that can do some serious damage, but their weakness is their goalie who can't stop the puck to save his life.

What do the Penguins see in him? He's awful, in my opinion. I don't feel comfortable with him in goal. I think it's time for them to reevaluate their choice.

Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Not "absolutely horrible", but concur with the general sentiment of the post.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 PM

I felt this way about him last year... this year he's supposed to break out and have a good year. So I'm giving him the rest of the season -- if he limps in with another poor/mediocre campaign, I'll give up hope on him.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 PM

I don't watch alot of pit games but isn't their D really bad? Gonchar is just like another forward out there. Sydor is 35 and a not as good as he once was. Whitney is pretty good, i like him. but their is a lack of depth on the team
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 PM

I haven't got to see much this year, but their D was really bad last year. As you said, Gonchar is in the "Defense? lol" mode. Whitney and Orpik are generally decent, but that's about it.

I hated seeing Thibault go. He played really well as a backup last year and better than MAF on a lot of days.

All that said, Lets Go Pens!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 PM

MAF gives up way too many rebounds, at least in the few games I've seen. He never tries to smother the puck and often times doesn't even direct the rebound away from traffic.

Tonight's game was entertaining for a neutral fan [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 AM

I was getting ready to troll this thread with "Ovie> Crosby" but I saw you guys made no mention of him,aside from the picture in the OP. I'm dissapointed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Why isn't there trolling in NHL threads on 2p2? I say we change this, and therein make NHL threads on 2p2 legitimate. Let's reignite the rivalry between the Caps and the Pens.

Back at US Air arena when I used to go to 2 Caps games every other weekend there were always CROWD fights whenever Pitt. or NY came into the building. Also with Phil, but less often. Those fans were just douchebags.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:36 AM

Nobody mentioned him because it's just assumed he's going to win MVP/lead life in scoring for the next 15 years. It's just a matter of how mini-ditka matches up with him at this point. I guess that's probably discussion worthy.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody mentioned him because it's just assumed he's going to win MVP/lead life in scoring for the next 15 years. It's just a matter of how mini-ditka matches up with him at this point. I guess that's probably discussion worthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tavares will take over in 5 years [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]