Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Game softness for a omaha novice.

I dont really know a lot about omaha but I want to learn. Anyways, I started out playing FLHE SH but realized that is so much easier to make money playing NLHE SH even thou I prefer FL since the average FL-player is better then the average NL-players.

So, anyways I was thinking about playing Omaha but logically it feels like Omaha should attract a bit better players then NL HE, probably more of the strategy-game-type of guy then the gambler.

I am sure that there is probably a lot of clueless omaha-players aswell (like there surely is FL-donks) but how do you guys feel about the player quality at omaha for you that grinded both HE and PLO?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Game softness for a omaha novice.

imo the games are softer overall. no matter how bad a lot of people play the nl games are always going to have a number of players that are at the very least not giving their money away. there is far less information on how to play plo and subsequently imo less good players. also the nature of the game seems to attract more gamblers and less nits (althoguh there are plenty of exceptions both ways).
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, anyways I was thinking about playing Omaha but logically it feels like Omaha should attract a bit better players then NL HE, probably more of the strategy-game-type of guy then the gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like elaboration on this point, I find it tough to believe.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 AM

I my 1st days of Omaha I love to talk to the guys in the chat. It answers so much of your anwers. On Bodog you can only 3-table, so people have time. Here is how I perceive the tables:

Out of the 10 players I usually find:
- 2 to 4 "regulars" who kind know about Omaha cuz they're all old and played some poker for a while. Usually disciplined and almost never raise PF. Easily recognizable and the only ones u can bluff
- 2 to 3 maniaco gamblers. They love Omaha cuz u have 4 cards. They raise just about anything. I try to stay patient vs them and it usually takes ~1hr to get a stack of them
- 1 or 2 guys totally lost who came there by curiosity, and will busto soon (those who think they have a flush on a 4-suit board for REAL)
- usually 1 to 2 HE players. And yeah. They play with 2 cards being dealt 4 and find in AK87ds a monster. they know the rules sorta but they're freeroll food.

I think people play Omaha out of curiosity + b/c it's an action game. I guess Omaha/8 is even crazier. People tend to look alike in LHE and easily recognizable. In PLO I usually try to guess and wait for key words (e.g you make fun of 1 and he says" "I had a redraw" ---> notes or some1 mentions VPIP etc.

Concerning your point about the mathematical kinda guy, I tend to agree: I've seen many many people playing LHE and PLO while NL players play NLHE only. Seems to me that the math involved (pot odds, equity etc.) in both LHE and PLO is definitely a common factor. In NLHE, esp. SH, the math are far less important than the context situation (ranges % >>> equity). I know that from playing HU NLHE. Hands don't run so close in value there.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like elaboration on this point, I find it tough to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this because NLHE is glamorised more and degen gamblers like it because you can just shove AI at any point. Also I think that knowing the maths is probably more important in PLO, though idk if this attracts people with a more mathematical out-look to PLO or not.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- 1 or 2 guys totally lost who came there by curiosity, and will busto soon (those who think they have a flush on a 4-suit board for REAL)

[/ QUOTE ]These people seem to show up an awful lot on the low limit tourneys too, if you're into that kind of thing. They'll also play pocket trips like they're gold-dust.

I haven't yet been playing long enough for moments like these to have lost their funny:

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t30/t60
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t210</font>, UTG+1 calls t210 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t210 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t510)</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t360</font>, Button calls t360 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1080)</font>, SB calls t330 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1440)</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1770)</font>, UTG+1 calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1920)</font>, MP1 calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2070)</font>.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t2220, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t360</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to t720</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t4740</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in t1240</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in t6260</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 calls all-in t5280</font>, CO calls t1880 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t19740)</font>.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t17940, 1 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: t7180, Sidepot 1: t14280)

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t17940, 1 player + 3 all-in - Main pot: t7180, Sidepot 1: t14280)

Results:
Final pot: t17940
CO shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pair of Aces)
SB shows T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (straight, Ace high)
UTG shows 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Eights)
UTG+1 shows A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Jacks)

CO: i had a flush !!!!
CO: wtf ???
Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm loving it. I know. I've heard many stories about people misreading their hands, thinking that they have a FH or a flush using 3 of their holes cards etc.

PLO tournaments have for sure a great potential. Especially at the WSOP. I've seen "with my one eyes" people would did not know if they had won the pot or not before the dealer confirmed. We should however try to come up with a nice sticky about tournament play in PLO, since I think the play has to adjust even more than in NLHE as the blinds go up.

Gonna try some MTT on Stars at some point. SnG's won't have so many bad players imo.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They'll also play pocket trips like they're gold-dust.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed that one when I first read. Nice. What do they do with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? Die from a heart attack?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results:
Final pot: t17940
CO shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pair of Aces)
SB shows T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (straight, Ace high)
UTG shows 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Eights)
UTG+1 shows A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Jacks)

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad it didn't continue with ...

UTG: wtf? I had quads!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 AM

I missed the "quads" as well when the hand went down, mostly because I was too dumbfounded by the "flush" to notice anything else. UTG had the presence of mind to leave quietly. No one offered CO any help, unsurprisingly enough, and a couple of hands later he was out trying to play what looked like two-pair using three hole cards, if I remember correctly.