Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Default Tricky hand, what do you put him on?

I am a solid $5 STT player, but decided to try my hand at a $10 to see how difficult or tricky the players were in comparison. This was a tricky hand and I wonder what you would do?

At this point, I had just won the exact previous hand with AQs when I flopped two pair. It did not go to showdown and I had also raised to 200 preflop, the exact same as this hand. The villain in this hand I have only seen show down one hand so far which was to a raise, he had called with AJs in the blinds where he tripled up! Other than that he has been relatively conservative in his play.

Hand 12 $10 - NL - 9 Seat - Extended Blinds 20/40

SB ($1,780)
BB ($2,140)
UTG ($1,660)
Hero ($2,700)
Villain ($5,190)
CO ($2,170)
Button ($2,360)

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 fold, Hero called 40 and raised 160 to 200, Villain called 200, 4 folds.

Board cards [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

Hero checked, Villain bet 40, Hero called 40

Board cards [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

Hero checked, Villain bet 80, Hero called 80 and raised 80, Villain called 80 and raised 320, Hero called 320

Board cards [6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Hero bet 320, Villain called 320 and raised 1,280...

<font color="blue">What do you do and why? What do you put him on? </font>
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Tricky hand, what do you put him on?

It's a difficult hand to say the least. I would have re-raised the him stronglly on the flop, maybe 300, if he called I might be tempted to fire another shot on the turn. The re-raise is a nightmare, what sort of hand could he possibly have called your initial raise with that involves a 10? I think it's borderline fold/push and would be read dependant. I think he's more likely to have JJ-QQ then he is A10 K10 1010. Hell this is an $11, so he could even have 99 or some such muck and be hoping you`ve missed completely with AK-AQ.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 AM

i would not lead the river...you check raised and he 3 bet the turn, at that point you are either way ahead or way behind. leading the river is a bad play, because it makes him stop if hes bluffing, and puts you in a tough spot when he raises.

i also wouldnt get cute on the flop and check, i would make a nice continuation bet. also, if i check raised the turn i would bet more, that way i can easily fold to a re-raise. and dont find myself in the situation you got into on the river.

how did the villian play his trips last time? did he underbet the pot? he bets 40 into a 400 pot on the flop, this screams i want action, or i have no idea what im doing.

finally, you have to think that you are OOP against the chip leader...its not time to get fancy, play it fast, and accumulate some chips.

-mike
Old 03-07-2006, 09:47 AM

why dont u lead the flop or at least cr that flop?...
and dont minraise that turn...make a beefy raise....or lead it half to 2/3 pot......
on the river i think its a clear fold....i dont see how he doesnt have a ten......imthink AT or QTs
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM

I think you need to bet the flop around a 1/2 to 2/3's. If he calls or makes a small re-raise I'll slow down. If he makes a big re-raise or pushes, meh, I might swear and fold or swear and call, leaning to fold based on how you described him. I would put him on a ten, AT, JT being the most likely hands.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Thanks for your input folks, it turned out he had KT offsuit and I called. Such is poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:44 AM

This hand represents a real challenge, how to get as much money as possible from a hand without a Ten, while losing as little as possible to a hand that has a Ten.

As the hand played- The only raise I would put in on the turn is to push. I would not be check raising, but if that is your preferred line, then make villian sweat. A limit raise reeks of weakness, and if you want to represent a Ten, you would push over his bet. Betting the river here just causes more problems for hero. You played this hand so you had to make all the hard decisions as opposed to villian.

Another way to consider playing this hand, would be to c-bet the flop. And then check call reasonable sized bets to the river.

As another poster said, you are either way ahead or way behind. In those cases I think you want to keep the pot as small as possible. That also makes folding to his river push less painful if that is what you decide to do.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And then check call reasonable sized bets to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a better line than my check/fold scenario.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 PM

But defining 'reasonable' is the key!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">What do you do and why? What do you put him on? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's difficult to put him on a T because you didn't define your hand with a large(r) flop raise/reraise, but that doesen't change his donk call of 5xbb with KTo and min bet on the flop.

Your flop call and turn check+reraise+call are both awful btw.

In summary, bet out 1/2 to 3/4 pot on flop, when called check/fold the rest on the hand unless you spike an A on the turn.