Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Some BJJ questions

The Rickson Gracie International Jiu-Jitsu Center is around the corner from my apartment. I've been studying Jeet Kune Do since early august, but recently had to quit studying with my Sifu because private lessons are too expensive for me. I still take free semi private lessons with a different Jeet Kune Do guy once per week. He has been seriously practicing various martial arts for more than 12 years. He trains more than 20 hours a week in JKD, Kali, and Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. He's pretty ecclectic, and I don't agree with everything he does, but the price is definitely right, and I think my training with him has some real value. I also meet up with a training partner once a week to work on striking.

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking this BJJ class. I have a few questions.

1. Assuming I go 3-4 times a week, how long will it take for me to be able to use BJJ in a real life encounter?

2. People tell me thta BJJ is VERY cardio intensive. Will my training in JKD and BJJ help my conditioning enough for me to be able to participate effectively in BJJ, or will I need to do supplemental conditioning outside of class?

3. I'm also thinking about going to a JKD school that offers weekly BJJ classes. If I only train once a week in BJJ, will it be worth anything to me, or do you need to train more often to be able to use BJJ stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Some BJJ questions

[ QUOTE ]
1. Assuming I go 3-4 times a week, how long will it take for me to be able to use BJJ in a real life encounter?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on how quickly you pick things up, but probably a few months.

[ QUOTE ]
2. People tell me thta BJJ is VERY cardio intensive. Will my training in JKD and BJJ help my conditioning enough for me to be able to participate effectively in BJJ, or will I need to do supplemental conditioning outside of class?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're asking if your JKD and BJJ work will be enough to keep you in shape, I'm sure it would if you train hard. I know a guy who fights some regional pro fights and he does no working out with weights, he trains 6 or 7 days a week bjj and muay thai. Rolling for 4 hours a day will keep you in shape. I weight trained for a long time, and when I lowered my weight training, as I lost a little weight, my technique actually improved more quickly because I was forced to use less pure strength.

[ QUOTE ]
3. I'm also thinking about going to a JKD school that offers weekly BJJ classes. If I only train once a week in BJJ, will it be worth anything to me, or do you need to train more often to be able to use BJJ stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]
Once weekly bjj will probably not be very effective. I don't know anyone who has trained at Rickson's school, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't good, and I'm sure you would learn much more than once a week training.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:26 AM

what are some good martial arts schools in chicago? I'm trying to get a girl I know to study some kind of self defense.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:08 AM

Does it help for a BJJ beginner to read a beginning BJJ book? If so, what book would you recommend?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:55 AM

There are some gracie tutorial videos that are pretty nice. They're named Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Basics/Intermediate/Advanced Vol X
Old 01-27-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some gracie tutorial videos that are pretty nice. They're named Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Basics/Intermediate/Advanced Vol X

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second these. You can find some of them online if you look around and probably use some unmentionable programs. Keep in mind, though, that there's not a great deal of techniques in them total, but I think they're very well taught. Rorion and Royce Gracie are the instructors with Rorion doing 95% of the talking.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Where in Chicago? There are lots of schools in the city and suburbs, most of them I don't much about. I have never trained in the city, only in northwest Indiana. There are a few schools around the city and suburbs under Carlson Gracie (who died a year ago). NWI has a couple of very good schools, Corral Martial Arts and Torres Martial Arts. www.teamcorral.net www.torresmartialarts.com
Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 AM

Wrestling is more demanding physically than any standup fighting. The class should probably be sufficient alone for getting in shape. Also expect it to develop different muscles.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:51 AM

They mostly do Gi stuff at the Rickson Gracie center. Since I live in socal, people don't tend to wear stuff that you can hold onto in the same way you can hold onto a Gi. Should I try to find a different BJJ place in LA instead? I'm primarily interested in self-defense BTW.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Most places start all beginners out with a gi, because it helps you learn lots of basic stuff. I think that is a good idea, I would not have learned technique as fast no gi because the gi acts as a helper when you don't know what you're doing. The class looks like it has a couple of no gi specific classes each week. That would probably be enough. Go down there and talk to some people about it. Take a few classes and stick around and watch the more experienced people when they do no gi. I'm sure that people getting ready for fights or no gi tournaments practice much more than twice a week. But look into all your options anyways, because if you don't like that school, you won't be very motivated to go and learn.