Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about your Credit Score

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way I can find out my credit score for free? All I can find is free credit reports that don't report my credit score without a fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was having this problem as well, but i went to freecreditreport.com instead of annualcreditreport.com and the report i got from experian included the score.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god. did you sign up for their credit monitoring service at $15 a month??

Also, it's a consumer score, not a FICO score.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 PM

I got sick and just got hammered with medical bills and due to that fact had to file bankruptcy. What should I do to start rebuilding my credit?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM

About two years ago I phoned in to Capital one to cancel one of my credit cards. I did not receive the next bill. However, a month+ later, I apparently was sent a bill for a magazine subscription that automatically renewed itself.

I was living at home and receiving numerous credit card offers in the mail. I told my parents which active credit cards I had open and they tried to sort through the mail and throw out any credit card offers. Unfortunately, they threw out my Capital One bill (which I thought was cancelled) twice. This resulted in a 30 day and a 60 day late payment showing up on my credit history...all for a $15 magazine subscription automatic renewal.

I am applying for a mortgage now. These are the only late payments on my entire credit report. Should I/Can I do anything about this to help out my score?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way I can find out my credit score for free? All I can find is free credit reports that don't report my credit score without a fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was having this problem as well, but i went to freecreditreport.com instead of annualcreditreport.com and the report i got from experian included the score.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they signed me up for a 30 day trial, which i have since canceled. i should have noted that in my original post. hopefully no one was led astray.

i am not credit savvy, and did not realize that there are different types of scores. looking now i see the number quoted is based on a scale of 330-830. oh well. i assume it is qualitatively accurate, which is enough to quell my curiosity.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got sick and just got hammered with medical bills and due to that fact had to file bankruptcy. What should I do to start rebuilding my credit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well managed secured credit cards are always a great place to start. Regular CCs too.
Finance a car...all the regular stuff. It's going to take time, but I've seen 700 scores in as little as 3-4 years after a BK.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About two years ago I phoned in to Capital one to cancel one of my credit cards. I did not receive the next bill. However, a month+ later, I apparently was sent a bill for a magazine subscription that automatically renewed itself.

I was living at home and receiving numerous credit card offers in the mail. I told my parents which active credit cards I had open and they tried to sort through the mail and throw out any credit card offers. Unfortunately, they threw out my Capital One bill (which I thought was cancelled) twice. This resulted in a 30 day and a 60 day late payment showing up on my credit history...all for a $15 magazine subscription automatic renewal.

I am applying for a mortgage now. These are the only late payments on my entire credit report. Should I/Can I do anything about this to help out my score?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not w/ Cap1...I've tried every trick in the book for clients with them and they never budge.

If it's isolated, you should still be fine on your mortgage.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM

Also, one other question. Due to a lack of immediate access to money over the last couple/few months, my credit card balances grew considerably. I now have access to my online accounts again and have paid off the credit card balances. How long will this take to have a positive affect on my credit score and how big of an increase can paying off the entire balances have in, say, a one month time frame? I paid off a credit card at 70% total balance...this credit card represented probably around 20-25% of my total available credit.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they signed me up for a 30 days trial, which i plan to cancel during business hours tomorrow. i should have noted that in my original post. hopefully no one was led astray.

i am not credit savvy, and did not realize that there are different types of scores. looking now i see the number quoted is based on a scale of 330-830. oh well. i assume it is qualitatively accurate, which is enough to quell my curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]

GL cancelling...I've heard horror stories...make sure to get it in writing.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? crap. i just got off the phone (i didn't originally realize that they are on the west coast), and although they were quite annoying, i only had to say "no thanks, i'd still like to cancel" 5 or 6 times. that you advise getting it in writing makes me nervous.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? crap. i just got off the phone (i didn't originally realize that they are on the west coast), and although they were quite annoying, i only had to say "no thanks, i'd still like to cancel" 5 or 6 times. that you advise getting it in writing makes me nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

always get these things in writing.