Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Keith Sexton article

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=62

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on his play. I play with him occasionlly, and Im just looking for an edge. Seems like pretty basic stuff, but Im just wondering how many people smooth call a raise by a Queen with pocket Kings. I realize it depends on situation, but if Im 2nd or 3rd to act in a full table, and a queen bets 1st doesnt seem like premium strategy unless you plan a reraise on 4th maybe? Just curious on everyones thoughts.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Keith Sexton article

I didn't like that piece of advise, I think the standard strategy should be to reraise to get it heads up/get more money in the pot with the best hand. The occasional slowplay is okay if you have very specific reason to do so (history with the other player, tight players behind, etc.). His advise is not so bad in a tight ante structure with tight players, but these two thing don't usually go hand in hand because small antes are usually only in small games with loose players. In bigger ante games you should be sometimes reraising with a small pair and a big kicker, or a big 3 flush, in addition to with a higher pocket pair.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 PM

I dont really like most of this advice to be honest, but I'm no pro.
It would be helpful to know what limits/ante he is talking about but, depending on his position, i think a lot of times his 868 example hands should be hitting the muck, not calling a raise from a queen door. Suitedness makes it nicer, but still he makes it seem like his standard play is to call an underpair/poor kicker here.

In example 2, is he really advocating waiting until 5th for the sole reason that if you catch your 4-outer boat on 5th you wont get any action? This is ridiculous IMO. If you have a chance to knock people out with 2 small pair I think you have to take it, not wait so that the few times when you hit your monster you get action.

In the Kings example, does he really think the queens are going to fold to a raise on 3rd in an online game? this happens maybe 5% of the time. He is just asking for a multiway suckout when 3 people call behind after he smooth calls. Chances are that someone behind or the bring in might call as well as the queens if you raise, leaving you in a nice spot.

EDIT: I just read Perry Friedman's original article about 3rd street and it is about as worthless as they come. Are there a lot of games going on full tilt?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the Kings example, does he really think the queens are going to fold to a raise on 3rd in an online game? this happens maybe 5% of the time. He is just asking for a multiway suckout when 3 people call behind after he smooth calls. Chances are that someone behind or the bring in might call as well as the queens if you raise, leaving you in a nice spot.

EDIT: I just read Perry Friedman's original article about 3rd street and it is about as worthless as they come. Are there a lot of games going on full tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly on the Kings part, no one folds to a raise on 3rd, so why not get the pot heads up and make your opponent pay.

As far as the games, there is not always a 5/10 game going, but when it is, Im only about breakeven. Im having a problem adjusting to the ante and BI structure. $1 ante and $1.50 BI. Ive only played $.50 ante and $2 BI at this level. Ive been trying to steal more, figuring starting hands have to be a little nicer for people to call on 3rd, but this had back fired. Im gonna tighten up little and see if it helps.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly on the Kings part, no one folds to a raise on 3rd, so why not get the pot heads up and make your opponent pay.

As far as the games, there is not always a 5/10 game going, but when it is, Im only about breakeven. Im having a problem adjusting to the ante and BI structure. $1 ante and $1.50 BI. Ive only played $.50 ante and $2 BI at this level. Ive been trying to steal more, figuring starting hands have to be a little nicer for people to call on 3rd, but this had back fired. Im gonna tighten up little and see if it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would intuitively think stealing less is better here because the pot is smaller and you arent getting eaten up quite as fast.
When you are called after raising on a steal it is more likely that they have an even better hand than in a larger ante game, so you are even farther behind.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:38 PM

I just read this article myself and I have to say that its fairly indicative of Full Tilt in general. While you do want bad players to play with you, its like a home game over there. Multi-way pots on every hand and people will generally call with any cards and on any draw, no matter how bad. A friend of mine said the other day that some people play better against at least average players and I'm finding this to be true of myself. And in further regards to full tilt, its very hard to get a stud game or any game for that matter that is not NL hold 'em. The site basically attracts the new generation that has only seen poker on TV and knows nothing else but hold 'em.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:59 AM

In a full game a $1.00 anto and $1.50 Bring in makes the initial pot $9.50 cents. With only $.50 ante and $2.00 BI the initial pot is only $6.00. Stealing more is often correct with the bigger juice. Unfortunately it also entices more calls as they are often correct to play with lesser hands. This is actually a much bigger game than the one you are used to and makes a loose player play better.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:36 PM

It actually sounds like a very good structure.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 AM

I'm raising with Kings after a Q raise every time. Unless it's very likely to be heads up anyhow I want to limit the field with kings.

At a super-tough table where only 2 or 3 see the next card, maybe it can be warranted, but the world has just too many calling stations - raise it up in 7stud when you're very likely best.