Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Play being affected by a girl????

This might sound strange, but I have only had two major downswings this last year, and both have occured when I was hanging out with this one specific girl (first time being about 4 months ago, we went our seperate ways but not on bad terms and are back together now). This current downswing has been very bad and I have almost gone completely broke. I seem to be running very bad in general at the moment, but I am overall not too unhappy with my play even though the results have been horrible. I cant help question whether shes affecting my mind in someway that is prohibiting me from playing my A game. I do admit lately my mind has felt cloudy but I seem to convince my self that i am still able to play good poker, but now im really starting to wonder if my game is off and where the new leak is coming from. My major problem is that I play professionally, and have relied on poker income to support my self for a year now. This is by far the closest ive come to being broke (in my poker account) and ive dwindled my bankroll to the level that Im not even satisfied or able to make enough income with the stakes im now rolled for. I am thinking strongly about tapping a mutual fund i have and depositing a 2/4 nl roll possibly with 30 buyins and repeating, but my confidence is very shaken right now, and I am having a hard time deciding if it is the right move. Ive ran at 2.4 bb/100 over last 20k hands at 2/4 FR and a slightly better at 2/4 6max ...while its not amazing..its a win rate in the game. Another thing ive noticed is that i havent had as much joy in playing poker lately, and ive been spending alot of time with this girl which obv takes away from playing and studying time. It seems to be that my life is running pretty bad at the moment with the exception of finding a girl I am very happy with. I have found it almost imposible mentally to grind lately and just feel im in a very tough spot right now.

I basically just dont know what to do and would really appreciate any advice from anyone whos experienced anything similar or who has any recomendations regarding starting fresh with a 30 buying 2/4 roll or how to get back on track in any way shape or form. (I am a cardrunners and pokerxfactor member and ive been reading the psychology forum on here and on cardrunners...and ive been trying to watch cardrunner vids to get my game back on track but i dont feel it has been helping me.)

Thank you for any advice/input/whatever
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Play being affected by a girl????

Take responsibility for your own play/variance. Quit relying on a woman for self worth and life confidence. DAMN.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 PM

dude I just had a crazy ride with some chick and there were points where the money meant nothing and I was open shoving on flops like it was play money so ya it happens bro
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM

i don't really have any specific advice, but i'll tell you that i've noticed when things are rocky relationship-wise with my girlfriend, i am sure i don't play as well as i do while perfectly content with everything, which is to be expected. I think most people would agree that if something is on your mind, you're going to be distracted or less focused in general.

i would say you need to make sure that you're not thinking/worrying about her while you're playing, and the best way to do that is to just be on good terms... if you're really having trouble, maybe move down in stakes for a little get your game back on track, get your confidence back... but honestly, if you're playing "professionally", it seems to me you should be able to handle a downswing, and work your way through it.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM

she's bad luck find a new 1
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM

I think the real question is what are you thinking about when you are playing? Do you feel you are improve? If not, why not?

Personally, I don't know how you handle your roll so it is hard to say whether you should take money out of the mutual fund. I don't know what the penalty is for that, but if you ran out of roll then you probably need a bigger one.

Maybe you just need to get back to improving and having fun. Maybe take a break until you are clear in the head.

If your head isn't clear you probably shouldn't invest more money in poker until you clear it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

In BG's book "Ace on the River", he mentions it's always an advantage to bring a sex partner when you travel and play tournaments away from home.

If you treat poker as serious business, considering you invest serious money and personal time, poker table isn't the place to be romantic or relax, it's a war field.

There are a lot of players talking about other issues like sport games, dating, cars, etc... while in the tournaments or try to be friendly and soft playing hands against others just because they talked about his watch before the hand, they even show the attitude that "winning pots is NOT important because I'm having fun/I'm making a friend...", but they will regret after being "cleaned out" at the end.

If you feel a pretty girl at the table distracts your playing A game, think about how much money you invest then decide what to do.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM

This girl is clearly a succubuss, as they all are. In order to get back on track, you should take a break from the game not immerse yourself more (I mean that about poker as well). I feel traveling to see the world in order to educate yourself in core values is of the utmost importance. Also, moving to Vegas to be with friends who give sound advice, both in poker and in life, is highly advised. Oh and there's plenty of women there as well.