Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Mother commits suicide at same spot as her only daughter

One thing that hasn't been brought up is that generally people in a suicidal state honestly don't believe that anyone will miss them when they are gone.

It isn't a rational decision to take your own life and I would never say suicide is the right answer for someone. There is plenty of time to be dead. But, these people aren't thinking rationally and the suicide isnt born out of the want to maliciously hurt anyone else.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that hasn't been brought up is that generally people in a suicidal state honestly don't believe that anyone will miss them when they are gone.

It isn't a rational decision to take your own life and I would never say suicide is the right answer for someone. There is plenty of time to be dead. But, these people aren't thinking rationally and the suicide isnt born out of the want to maliciously hurt anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

It's easy in a vacuum, or in a rational state, to say that suicide is "incredibly selfish and stupid".

But to those passing judgment: do you know any clinically depressed people, or had someone close to you commit suicide?

-Al
Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But to those passing judgment: do you know any clinically depressed people, or have someone close to you commit suicide?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And yes.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More pics and detail about the mother and daughter who killed themselves here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar...70&ito=1490

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe the guilt theory isn't so far off?

[ QUOTE ]
Another theory is that Natasha was making her way along the tracks in the dark to her boyfriend's home in Lawford, Essex, when she was hit by a freight train. The pair agreed to break up for a few weeks because their parents thought they were spending too much time together.

Natasha's family hit out at claims she killed herself. Her grandfather Peter Clacket, 62, said it was 'lies'. He said: "It was a tragic accident."

[/ QUOTE ]

An accident is a possibility too, in both cases. Regardless, you don't have anywhere near enough info to make the judgments you're making.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:28 PM

VR - I'm of the mindset (I've probably been very influenced by my father, a psychiatrist who treats extreme cases of clinical depression and schizophrenia) that sometimes a person's brain chemistry is such that they don't have alot of control over their actions. And it's not necessarily fair to characterize the act of suicide as selfish.

But I understand where you're coming from.

-Al
Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe I am about to agree with luckyjimm .

Suicide is an ultimately selfish act. It is THE ultimately selfish act.

Those of you that are saying "she didn't ask to be born, so she doesn't owe her parents jackfreakingmonkeyballs": newsflash...that's the selfish response.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree. It's a view of relationships that doesn't burden people with guilt and expectation based on things they had no say in.

[ QUOTE ]
If someone loves you completely, has for your whole life, and has never intentionally done anything to hurt you, killing yourself is completely selfish behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]
One wonders why someone who had been the recipient of all that love would want to kill themselves in the first place.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:43 PM

True or false:

Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See I think it's selfish for you to expect someone else to suffer by staying alive so that you don't have to suffer because of their death!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because I imagine they are suffering less pain than their suicide will cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] This is shocking. You underestimate the power of the basic survival instinct. To overcome it, a person must feel incredible pain.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True or false:

Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain.

[/ QUOTE ]
First part: often false. Second part: often true.

There's more to the final decision than how you felt at that moment. Years of selfish/unselfish choices, responsibility, courage and so on lead you down various paths, some of them very foreseeable. You can't isolate a final decision based on overwhelming pain and absolve someone of responsibility or choice.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Dictionary.com definition of selfish:

[ QUOTE ]
devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several of you are arguing that a person SHOULD behave in a way devoted only to onself, or at least that one shouldn't let one's parents influence one's decision. What you're saying is, "it's okay to be selfish".

That's a different argument from "it's NOT selfish". So far, Aloysius is the only one making that argument. Interestingly enough, he is also the only one making a valid point.