Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 AM

Default boot-tastic top set play

Villian is slightly laggy, but other than that no reads.

This line felt counter-productive to maximizing the most out of hte villian. My reasoning for the flop check is that I felt I had the board pretty much crippled.

ok? bad? suggestions?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $49.40
UTG+1: $49.25
CO: $57.30
Button: $36.85
SB: $14.95
Hero: $57.65

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $2</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7</font>
Old 01-02-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: boot-tastic top set play

check raise turn? dont think he will be tempted to bluff unto you if you bet 7/8 of the pot right there.. youd probably get more value out of your hand with a check raise on turn or river :P
definately bet river if he checks back on turn though
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check raise turn? dont think he will be tempted to bluff unto you if you bet 7/8 of the pot right there.. youd probably get more value out of your hand with a check raise on turn or river :P
definately bet river if he checks back on turn though

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought about it, but I was scared he would check the turn behind and the pot would be tiny
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 AM

any history between the two of you? How tight/loose have you been playing? Have you two tangled? Has he tangled with other people? What does he limp call with on the button, how likely is it he has QT, how would he play top pair here?

I might check raise flop if I think QT is a big part of his range. If I think Kx could be in his range, then maybe check call-&gt;lead turn for full pot. I think check raise flop is best here, but more reads would be somewhat decent.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:18 AM

I think check raise flop is best because you need to jam this flop versus QT. Pretend for a moment that button thinks, and he thinks your very tight out of the blinds, prehaps raising as tight as AK/JJ+. Then he knows if he gets a lot of action on the flop, his Kx is definitely no good. Well he can bet small on the flop (lik ehe did here), call check raises and stack you with QTo on the turn. He could even do this with as weak as a gutshot if the implied odds are there. I think you need to jam this flop to make it impossible for him to play QT etc. profitably on the turn or river.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 AM

This guy cold calls your PF bet, who is to say he will bet the flop? If he doesnt your losing value. I lead the flop everytime unless I know villan cant stand to check. What about leading the flop then checking the turn to induce? At least that way there is some money in the pot so on the river if villan checks behind you can still bet....seem good to anyone else?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy cold calls your PF bet, who is to say he will bet the flop? If he doesnt your losing value. I lead the flop everytime unless I know villan cant stand to check. What about leading the flop then checking the turn to induce? At least that way there is some money in the pot so on the river if villan checks behind you can still bet....seem good to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with doing this with top set is villian is often on a draw. He sometimes is on an extremely speculative draw, like a gutter, and he puts you on a strong hand you'll go broke with all the time. The flop checking through isn't a disaster. The difference to middle set is he'll often have top pair-type hands he'll go broke with. Here that isn't the case. I think top set type hands are very villian dependant, on how he likes to play postflop.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he would fold to a flop c-bet (given pf action, my hand and board, this seemed pretty likely in my mind as there's only 1 K left in the deck), I would rather check and induce further action from villian or let him catch up. The board is pretty dry and im not too afraid of giving free cards on the flop if it will get me action later.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check raise flop is best because you need to jam this flop versus QT. Pretend for a moment that button thinks, and he thinks your very tight out of the blinds, prehaps raising as tight as AK/JJ+. Then he knows if he gets a lot of action on the flop, his Kx is definitely no good. Well he can bet small on the flop (lik ehe did here), call check raises and stack you with QTo on the turn. He could even do this with as weak as a gutshot if the implied odds are there. I think you need to jam this flop to make it impossible for him to play QT etc. profitably on the turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to be putting villian on a pretty narrow range ...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 AM

yea check raise on flop seems best option, why let him draw a card that could kill your hand? if he has QT here youd better off check raising flop. if he folds, so be it but at least you havent given a free card to a very obvious draw :P

besides, you arent getting much action on this board with your set of kings no matter what happens..