Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Who is it more important to sit to the left of?

At a 6 handed NL hold em table, do you think it is more important to sit to the direct left of:

a.) the most aggressive, tough player at the table?
b.) the biggest fish at the table?

When I have my choice, I am unsure of which to do. Please discuss.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Who is it more important to sit to the left of?

a) is probably self contradictory. the 10 most aggressive players in Vegas are broke.

That said, I want absolute position on fish and relative position on sharks.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:57 AM

You want to be gentle on the fish, you can sheer him many times but you can only skin him once. Let him sit where he likes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to be gentle on the fish, you can sheer him many times but you can only skin him once. Let him sit where he likes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

For aggresive tough players I want position, no question. I'm quite a nit so I don't want some LAG constantly putting pressure on me when I'm playing OOP.

For the fish, I would split them into 2 categories, sheep and fish.

Sheep are sheared, fish are gutted.

The sheep are the ones that lose maybe 10-20ptBB/100 and are maybe tight-passive/passive. You can take small bites out of them.
I want position on the sheep, where I can use position to force them to fold all their marginal holdings.

The fish who lose 50+ptBB/100 must be obliterated as quickly as possible as if there are any other decent players at your table, it's a race to get their money.
A feeding frenzy.

I want these uber fish sitting on my immediate left so I can squeeze any other players who try to iso-raise them.
If he's a complete fish, he won't know how to use his position advantage over you when it is you and him HU anyway.

I'll never forget the table I sat at with a total donkfish that raised 5xBB every single hand for about 2 hours. I was on his immediate left and I thought this will be like an ATM. But whilst the fish kept up his side of the bargain by losing about 5 BIs, I lost about 2 BIs.
The reason this happened was that the other players were able to hide the strength of their hands by limping, knowing that the fish was going to raise. When I iso-raised him, I often got squeezed by huge re-raise 4 bets.

So if I have a tough aggressive player and a total fish on the table, I ideally want the fish to be to my left and the LAG to my right.
My 2 cents worth anyway.