Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Knee Reinjury 3 Months Post ACL,MCL, & Meniscus Tear

Knowledge from anyone with experience or authority on this subject would be greatly appreciated, as I will not be able to see an orthopedic for several days.

I'm 3 months post surgery, and have had no complications thus far. I can jog, climb stairs, and ride a stationary bike every day with no problems.

Last night, I stepped into an unmarked ravine in an unlit, field parking lot following a football game. There was no lateral strain, but I fell in a way where basically I was on my behind with my foot planted on the ground.

There's mild swelling, pain at the absolute flexion and extension, and pain when the leg is extended and the quadriceps are flexed.

I can walk with a slight limp, but the pain is present.

When I flex my knee and push the tibia anteriorly, I feel mild pain but the joint seems just as tight as my other knee.

I'm quite depressed about this, since I felt as I had finally gotten "over the hump" so to speak and am concerned that I may have retorn or caused some sort of injury that will require more intervention. Obviously, an orthopedic's assessment and an MRI would be the ideal play, but comments are welcome.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Knee Reinjury 3 Months Post ACL,MCL, & Meniscus Tear

my advice: go see the doctor. but first, punch your hand through the wall and cuss a whole lot

sorry to hear about that dude. i hope everything is all well and nothing is torn. it would really suck to get well and then go down again. (i wonder how mike owen feels)
Old 09-03-2006, 07:25 PM

ben,

thx, nothing like another 3 months on the recumbant bike
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM

Guyon,
Sorry to hear about the injury. I tore my MCL, PCL, LCL, ACL, severed my patella tendon and tore my meniscus cartialage about 4 years ago. I understand the depression that can take place post injury. GL and keep up with the rehab.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 PM

well im 2 years and change post ACL reconstruction, and have had a few mishaps along the way. luckily for me it was never serious. the first thing most ortho-pods ask you after an injury to the repaired area is if their is pain and swelling. you have both. go see your doctor asap and pray for the best. good luck.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 PM

sucks dude, gl.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 AM

guys, thx for the info...

update: ~24 hours later, the pain has substantially subsided along with the swelling, i have full ROM, but the injury still exists...i'll attempt to schedule a ortho appt this week, my ortho does surg for a major D 1 athletic program [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hopefully my insurance will be friendly, but i doubt it
Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 AM

Just see the doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a question for you, and anyone else that has torn an ACL, do you guys get this weird feeling when you bend your knee sometimes? It's hard to explain but I'll try my best... at a certain point (and it's always a specific part) when I bend my knee it feels like a "pop" or something on the outside ligament. It doesn't hurt or stop me from doing anything, it's just weird. Feels like maybe it's twisting over or something.

Eh, can't explain it... but let me know if you have something like that :O
Old 09-04-2006, 11:01 AM

If you're only 3 months post-op, yeah, you might have done something to the ACL graft. As you have probably been told, the graft is not considered full strength for almost a year.

One of the tests you describe sounds like an anterior drawer sign for the ACL. Good that it feels as tight as the "good" knee, but this is hard to do on yourself.

The thing that dopesn't sound good is pain at end-range extension, after what was a flexion injury (although the swelling might play a part).

Keep us posted. Hopefully all you did was strain it.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 PM

I am an athletic trainer, but you should definitely see a doctor.

You cannot do an effective anterior drawer test on yourself. It's not happeneing. If you really want to try before you see a doctor, ice your knee and wrap it with an ace bandage (from the bottom up) for a good 30 minutes (until your knee is numb). You should then have someone else perform the test on both knees with you lying down, relaxed, and your knees at 90 degrees. Have the person use two hands, thumbs on the tibial tuberosity (the bump) and pull forward...comparing the sides to forward movement of the tibia.

I can't really picture how you fell. But did it feel like it did when you tore it the first time? Same pain, popping sound? Things to try and remember.

Also, to clarify previous post, a wound or graft, no matter what, will never be full strength. Given absolute ideal conditions (for things like age, blood flow, nutrition, surgeon, procedure, type of graft, rehab), one may be able to reach around 90%.

Good luck to OP. You can PM me with further questions if you wish.