Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Introduction

As this website grows, we are gaining more and more highly intelligent, astute, successful, members. That being the case I thought that we should not waste that talent. Why limit ourselves to discussing only gambling or the financial markets, when it comes to bringing in money? Obviously there are lots of other ways to do this. Working for instance. That of, course, is an unacceptable option. But there are lots of others. White collar crime fits the bill. But Mason, I don't think, is open minded enough to let us scheme about that here

Still that leaves lots of other alternatives; business ventures, or inventions being two of the most obvious. It seems to me that someone with an idea could help themselves by sharing at least part of that idea with the people who come here. They would do this to seek advice, seek employees or partners, or to attract investors. Others would come here in the other capacities or simply in hopes of learning something useful. Obviously any budding entrepreneur or inventor should consider how to use this forum in a way that wouldn't seriously risk his whole idea being stolen out from under him (unless he didn't care.)

Here are two ideas I recently thought of (that I personally will never do).

1. Figure out a way to allow people to pay a fee to be able to meet people right at the gate when they disembark from a plane. Either in person or through a surrogate. Wealthier people might pay as much as fifty bucks to do this and I don't believe there would be a backlash among others if some of that money defrayed airport costs.

2. Less trivially, open up very clean, extended stay three bedroom suite, furnished, moderately priced, hotels, in places like Vegas. Twice weekly maid service. Perhaps $600 a week or $2000 a month. Clearly at these prices the places, would be nothing special. But they wouldn't suffer from the downside, that one and even two bedroom places endure, eg riff raff who are up to no good and can't rent normal apartments. As long as multiple adults are not allowed, and all units are three or more bedrooms, tenants will be middle income families and the reputation of the place will remain good. Presently I am unaware of any safe, clean, roomy, inexpensive way a family of four or more can enjoy a week long stay in Vegas. Perhaps such a place would fill a niche.

Anyway, regardless of whether these are good ideas or whether people would find serious holes in them, I have given a couple of examples of the type of thing you might want to discuss on this new forum. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Introduction

Interesting idea for a forum I will be keeping an eye on it. As you said lots of great minds post here. I think I could learn a lot. I have always learned the hard way and just tried not to repeat the same mistakes.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 PM

I like your first idea, sounds interesting
Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM

DS,

#1 - Really wealthy people already pretty much get this to varying degrees depending on how wealthy they are and how/how much they fly. Anyone who NEEDS someone to meet them at the gate can get someone to do that just by asking the airline. Beyond that, I doubt there's enough of a market for this to be profitable.

#2 - Very good idea, but tons of companies doing stuff like this at various pricepoints. Vegas might be a unique case, but most of these places need to cater to longer-term corporate travelers to make occupancy numbers work out.

http://www.amerisuites.com/
http://hawthorn.com/
http://www.oakwood.com/
http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/
http://www.homesteadhotels.com/
http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/

Also, I find it a little strange that this is listed under the "general gambling" branch rather than the OT branch.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:39 PM

I friend of mine knew the guy who started Oakwood. Apparently it's a pretty lucrative business. He owned a Boeing jet in the 1980s.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I find it a little strange that this is listed under the "general gambling" branch rather than the OT branch.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely weird.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM

DS-

Say a business venture formed via meeting on this forum. Would the forum or posters be at any risk (ie. lawsuits, etc)? What about patented/unpatented ideas?

I do think its a great idea. Interested already to hear people's ideas and potentially hopping on board with certain ventures.

Thanks.

SLL
Old 07-14-2006, 04:13 PM

There are inumerable ways to get money from very wealthy people by offering special services for a high price...

warren buffet said in an interview he would instantly pay 5 million dollars to play online bridge, if that was what they charged him, because he likes it so much but current rate is 90$ a year..

ill think of some working examples and post later
Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Figure out a way to allow people to pay a fee to be able to meet people right at the gate when they disembark from a plane. Either in person or through a surrogate. Wealthier people might pay as much as fifty bucks to do this and I don't believe there would be a backlash among others if some of that money defrayed airport costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is already very easy to do and its free. All you have to do is go ask the ticket counter from the airline your friend/family is flying on and ask for a "gate pass" to pick them up.
If you tell them they are going to need a bit of assistance because.....
Most of the agents could care less and will print you one without question.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM

"White Collar Crime"

LOL