Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Tough Questions about Christianity

I'm doing a talk on some "tough" questions people ask about Christianity (I'm not considering Catholic, and definitely not Mormon, as "Christianity" in this thread), and would like to know what the curious minds of 2+2 are wondering. Please do not turn this thread into a debate, I simply would like to know what QUESTIONS you have. If these questions spawn seperate threads so be it, but please try to keep to the questions.

A good example of a question is like one outlined in the thread "Dear Christians: why doesn't god DO something?".

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity

What is "evil"?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:00 PM

Here's a popular one:

"If god loves me and is my creator, then how can he send me to hell for not believing in something that only other mortals have told me to believe in?"
Old 11-03-2005, 06:07 PM

When something horrible happens in somebody's life. Example: colon cancer, aids, daughter dies, baby dies, etc
People always ask "How could god let this happen to me?"
The answer is always "God works in mysterious ways or God has a plan"
So then as they begin to lose their faith, they ask "What was wrong with my plan?" and then an atheist is created.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm doing a talk on some "tough" questions people ask about Christianity (I'm not considering Catholic, and definitely not Mormon, as "Christianity" in this thread), and would like to know what the curious minds of 2+2 are wondering. Please do not turn this thread into a debate, I simply would like to know what QUESTIONS you have. If these questions spawn seperate threads so be it, but please try to keep to the questions.

A good example of a question is like one outlined in the thread "Dear Christians: why doesn't god DO something?".

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

So the largest Christian denomination in the world is being ignored?

Out of curiosity, why are you not using catholicism?

Oh, and for a tough question, how bout why it is that God can only be blamed for good things, but the second something goes wrong, it was Satan... however if something bad happens, with a silver lining, all the sudden it's god again, and he works in mysterious ways?

Its not a beautiful mystery, it's convoluted thinking.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm doing a talk on some "tough" questions people ask about Christianity (I'm not considering Catholic, and definitely not Mormon, as "Christianity" in this thread), and would like to know what the curious minds of 2+2 are wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many far more fascinating (and probably more powerful!) gods than this particular god you believe in. Why choose him? If I'd ever start to worship some god, _your_ god will be one of my last choices, no kidding.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 PM

Believers go to heaven as a reward for their belief in Christ. Non-believers go to hell as a punishment for their lack of faith.

God has the power to intervene at any point. (to suggest otherwise would compromise either his omniscience or omnipotence)

How can someone who commits a finite crime fittingly recieve an infinite punishment, and someone who performs a finite good fittingly recieve infinite reward?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 PM

"Isn't it true that the majority of the content of the Bible including The Resurrection can be traced back to much older religions and that people have commented on Christianity as being plagiarism.?"
Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 PM

This whole chirst thing is a joke, right? No one actually is expected to believe this stuff, right? RIGHT?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 AM

A very close female friend of mine confided in me that she'd been sexually abused by her father. It began around the age of 7. She wanted to know how "God" could let this happen to a child. This "God" who was supposed to love and protect children. And if "God" exists, how come so many bad things keep happening?

No, I never found words to help her. She could not understand or accept my faith or beliefs.

This probably isn't an original question for you. It's just the only time I've talked with an aethiest and afterwards been so troubled and affected. It may have been because I cared so much for her and how reprehensible I felt her father was.