Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Martial arts standing bag - need advice

Wavemaster XXLs are pretty much the only option for standing bags, and standing bags are terrible. You'll probably want to fill it with sand instead of water.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:51 PM

We used to have one of these in my house while growing up and although nobody was formally training on it, we used to use him for everything. He was like a 4th brother. Paintball target practice, taking out frustration by beating the crap out of it, football passing drills, when we needed a more sensitive father figure, etc.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you're talking about something like this:

[/ QUOTE ]

that looks awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually after thinking about this a little more, this bag might be perfect for you. Whenever adults use these sorts of bags at tae kwon do schools, one holds the bag from behind while the other one kicks, and then they switch. This keeps it from moving all over the place or tipping over. I really agree with the above suggestion of calling local tae kwon do schools and seeing if any have used bags they'd sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sidekicks are often on an upward trajectory and can slide up. So can round kicks and spinning heel kicks. I can see a guy holding one of these getting a kick in the face.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, stability is key as there will be unprotected drywall behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll offer another vote for the hanging heavy bag (which are relatively easy to hang), though you may want to shop for one which has a ring at the bottom. With the ring you can fasten a bungee cord to the bottom and attach it to a hook which you fasten in the floor (if possible) or to a heavy object.

The bags swing a lot, especially with kicks, and you'll eventually destroy a piece of drywall. You will need to put up a piece of plywood or something similarly sturdy to protect the drywall.

Also, I don't know much about the strain on a child using these, but it may be worth it for you to buy an adult sized (80 or 100 lbs) bag for your use and a smaller (25-40 lbs.) bag for your five year old. Kicking a big heavy bag may not be a problem for a five year old, but hitting one could be an unnecessary strain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on how much hanging bags swing, even heavy ones. They'll go horizontal or close to it. A tie on the bottom sounds great.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:27 PM

I was also looking into getting one of these soon. Anyone have anything to say about this Wavemaster:

It looks like it has a smaller hitting surface and larger base, making it more stable than the others.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:10 AM

Train in something other than TKD is my first thought. Have you already signed like a 15-year contract?

Second thought is that Hanging bags are much preferable to standing bags. It's not that much of a hassle, and far better quality imo.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 AM

TKD is good for kids. Works on coordination and flexibility and discipline, and gives them a chance to enjoy being competitive. Just because it isn't that great a fighting art doesn't mean it doesn't still have a lot of virtues.