Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Re: I just encountered a home invader

[ QUOTE ]

I think for 3000+ posts, you might suck at internet foruming.

You realize these people are replying BEFORE you stated the emergency/non-emergency thing, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce's three replies is probably one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on the internet.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think for 3000+ posts, you might suck at internet foruming.

You realize these people are replying BEFORE you stated the emergency/non-emergency thing, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce's three replies is probably one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that he may be a threaded viewer, but I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind doing that.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Possum can be really vicious. They're all over the place in So Cal. My neighbor was once sitting on her bed (studio apartment) reading and listening to her cat eat her cat food on the other side of the room. Then she looked at the chair next to her bed, and her cat was happily sleeping. So she looks across the room and there's an enormous possum sitting there, chowing down. She jumps up and the thing runs AT her and ends up chasing her out of the apartment (which was basically in my backyard). It was hysterical.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're being sarcastic. Otherwise this must be your first day on the internet.

What could you possibly find weird about it? I chose to respond to each person in case they didn't all read the whole thread. As for my "for the last time" comment, that was just in regard to my having just typed the same thing in three different posts, but I answered these in random order. My exasperation was with the people who have such small lives that they can't wait to leap to judgement about something they know nothing about, and my exasperation was justified.

[ QUOTE ]
The only possible explanation I can come up with is that he may be a threaded viewer, but I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I use threaded mode as it is the only rational way to use this forum and be able to keep track of multiple sub-threads. Flat mode just mixes the sub-threads together and puts the posts in order of oldest to newest, not any kind of logical order. Unless people are careful to always quote what they are responding to (I do, but many don't) there is often confusion about who is responding to what. This is more important in a mathematical forum such as probability than it is here. As a creator of content that people come here to reference, I can tell you for sure that you are missing something if you view my threads in flat mode. If you had been using threaded mode, you would not have found anything weird about my 3 posts. If I used flat mode, I would have responded the same way, because I would not assume that everyone else was using flat mode.

To make a statement like "no one in their right mind" uses threaded mode is to show extreme ignorance. To make such a statement while critiquing another's posting ability is simply laughable. Each forum mode has its advantages and disadvantages, and each has many advocates among the mature user population. That's why we support both modes, not because the developers are not in their right minds.

And BTW I don't have anywhere near 3000 posts. That's only how many I have since this "new" software was introduced in 2002, which is a fraction of what I had all together going back to the latter part of the last century. So for you people who have been here for all of 1 year, I suggest that in the future you figure out who the hell you're talking to, as well as what the hell you are talking about, before making an ass of yourself.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And BTW I don't have anywhere near 3000 posts. That's only how many I have since this "new" software was introduced in 2002, which is a fraction of what I had all together going back to the latter part of the last century. So for you people who have been here for all of 1 year, I suggest that in the future you figure out who the hell you're talking to, as well as what the hell you are talking about, before making an ass of yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicks dig post counts.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I use threaded mode as it is the only rational way to use this forum and be able to keep track of multiple sub-threads. Flat mode just mixes the sub-threads together and puts the posts in order of oldest to newest, not any kind of logical order. Unless people are careful to always quote what they are responding to (I do, but many don't) there is often confusion about who is responding to what. This is more important in a mathematical forum such as probability than it is here. As a creator of content that people come here to reference, I can tell you for sure that you are missing something if you view my threads in flat mode. If you had been using threaded mode, you would not have found anything weird about my 3 posts. If I used flat mode, I would have responded the same way, because I would not assume that everyone else was using flat mode.

To make a statement like "no one in their right mind" uses threaded mode is to show extreme ignorance. To make such a statement while critiquing another's posting ability is simply laughable. Each forum mode has its advantages and disadvantages, and each has many advocates among the mature user population. That's why we support both modes, not because the developers are not in their right minds.

[/ QUOTE ]
when the vast majority of OOT users post and view in flat mode, many using quick reply, trying to follow coherent subthreads doesn't make much sense.

i was trying to find a poll that was done late last year on how many people use each mode and it was flat in a landslide. i would imagine there were many who were using threaded because they didn't know about flat or realize how many used flat, and have since changed after reading that thread.

using threaded really only makes sense if most other people are using the forum that way.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who talks like this?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 AM

Are we trying to compare e-penises now?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

when the vast majority of OOT users post and view in flat mode, many using quick reply, trying to follow coherent subthreads doesn't make much sense...using threaded really only makes sense if most other people are using the forum that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Users can respond to a particular post whether they use flat mode or threaded mode. As long as some users do this, then using threaded mode will provide an advantage for following those sub-threads that you lose in flat mode, and for the rest using quick reply, it doesn't matter what mode you use to view their posts because the order is unimportant. I follow sub-threads all the time. Not everyone uses quick reply, especially not on other forums.

Quick-reply is a very new feature here, and one that I feel has had an overall negative impact on forums outside OOT. It encourages people to respond before they have read the rest of the thread, and frequently I see people giving incorrect, half-baked answers to questions that have already been analyzed correctly and completely elsewhere in the same thread. Quick reply and flat mode are mainly good for catering to laziness and encouraging hasty, poorly thought out responses. Threaded mode may require a little more effort and a few extra mouse-clicks, but it provides an organized discussion and promotes more structured thinking. It is completely understandable why this would be undesirable for the majority of OOT users.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 PM

I agree - threaded is a superior format. The quick-reply option though has made things a mess. I used to only use threaded mode and respond within the sub-threads. Now all that structure gets lost, so a lot of times I just read the OP, skip the rest, and respond to the OP. The problem is that I can't tell anymore when someone responds to my posts.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 PM

RE:
That's why in quick reply mode you put the person's name you're responding to in there.