Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-30-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Nit Procedure Question

Hey guys,

I play 5/10 NL at Flagler's, in Miami. Tonight this happened: When her bb was coming up in two hands, someone at my table requested a seat change and moved to a different seat, where she had more hands before her bb came around. The dealer didn't even flinch. Is this standard/acceptable? Seemed like BS to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Nit Procedure Question

In most Vegas places, you're allowed to move three seats to you left (pass two players) without any issue. If you move more than three seats, then you have to post or wait for your big blind to come.

In some places, if you move X seats, you have to post or wait X hands before being dealt in again. I consider this the best system.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 AM

Hmm, she definitely moved more than two seats. Obviously not something I'm going to complain about, but still obnoxious.

Thanks for explaining.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In some places, if you move X seats, you have to post or wait X hands before being dealt in again. I consider this the best system.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is standard in Southern California. Most clubs would make you post both blinds but I got them to reduce the posting penalty to the big blind only at the Bike.

~ Rick
Old 11-30-2007, 05:20 AM

well done rick, next time im there ill be sure to take advantage of the easy seat changing
Old 11-30-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well done rick, next time im there ill be sure to take advantage of the easy seat changing

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no advantage *; it simply reduces the excessive penalty of having to post both blinds when simply moving away from the blinds (when missing them you need to wait for the big blind or post both blinds).

But giving more opportunities for getting people back in action does have the advantage of being good for the game.

~ Rick

PS * Before suggesting/lobbying for this change I polled the 2+2 math wizards; one might have indicated there could be a minuscule advantage moving from UTG to the cutoff. Not enough to matter.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:16 PM

At Bay 101, if you move away from the Blind, you either wait x hands, where x is the number of players you jumped, OR you can optionally post. No penalty for moving toward the blind.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Bay 101, if you move away from the Blind, you either wait x hands, where x is the number of players you jumped, OR you can optionally post. No penalty for moving toward the blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be standard at my place, too.

q/q
Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 PM

There's also a difference between moving "away" from the blind and moving "out of" the big blind. The three seat rule is common for moving away (i.e., if you're not yet in the BB, you can move no more then three seats w/o having to post); if you move out of the big blind, usually you have to post even if you only move one seat.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM

In my room there is no penalty for moving away from the big blind, with the caveat that if you abuse this the floor will not allow you to move without posting.

In the three years that I have been dealing at this room I have not seen this rule abused.