Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

Supposedly a great(but abridged) audiobook on this with some tremendous performances on it. Sorta torn about giving it a shot -- on the one hand I hate abridgements and on the other hand, if you look at the raves on audible.com for this, it makes it sound like it was a huge success anyway.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly a great(but abridged) audiobook on this with some tremendous performances on it. Sorta torn about giving it a shot -- on the one hand I hate abridgements and on the other hand, if you look at the raves on audible.com for this, it makes it sound like it was a huge success anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's any book that would be great on audio, this is it, as it's 99% monologue.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 AM

Speaking of, do any of you guys know anything about audiobooks? Sometimes I see an interesting combo of novel + actor, but I've never actually listened to one.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone have an opinion on Rant, Palahniuks latest novel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't finish it, and have read and liked all his other novels (some more than others, obviously). The structure annoyed me, for one thing - it might be possible to portray some sense of narrative flow through an oral history, but he didn't do it imo. Also I thought the concept was pretty weak.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about halfway through this, and it's very good, the best book I've read since The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

[ QUOTE ]
"Water Music" by TC Boyle. This guy really knows how to take numerous loose ends and weave them into a beautiful story. Those of you who aren't familiar should pick up some of his stuff. "World's End" is really good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this book. I've probably bought it 7 or 8 times. I wish his newer books were as good.

Has anyone picked up the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel? It sounds pretty cool.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 AM

I am reading To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. The first time I read this book over a year ago I thought it was terrible, but now due to necessity I have to read it again and can barely put it down.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone have an opinion on Rant, Palahniuks latest novel?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't finish it, and have read and liked all his other novels (some more than others, obviously). The structure annoyed me, for one thing - it might be possible to portray some sense of narrative flow through an oral history, but he didn't do it imo. Also I thought the concept was pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to Palahniuk (and in order) I read Fight Club, Diary, and Survivor, but stopped after Survivor because I found that he had gotten formulaic and slightly too ridiculous. I have no problem suspending disbelief for anything, but I also think I just found his style to be wearing thin on me.

I found that I enjoyed Diary the most of the three, however, and I also adhere to the popular notion that while Fight Club was a VERY good book, the movie just got the whole concept and nailed it better.

As far as what I'm reading, I've got a Chekhov anthology and a Ginsberg anthology, but I can have any short story or poetry anthology in front of me at any given time.

- Jay
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also reading 'Bigger Deal' by Anthony Holden, the sequel to 'Big Deal'. Big Deal was great, this is okay so far, but not outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

A big let down from the first one.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of, do any of you guys know anything about audiobooks? Sometimes I see an interesting combo of novel + actor, but I've never actually listened to one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try audible.com for a really reasonable price. I'd suggest looking for things that are especially good for that format. Dom's talking about the zombie book is a perfect example -- horror is so much about atmosphere that it's perfect for a good reading. Also good are biographies. Gene Wilder's and Julia Child's are two I bought and am looking forward to, when I stop working to midnight and 12-hour holidays. :P
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM

I absolutely love this thread. I particularly like when someone says what they're reading and then come back with a minireview later. Yay.

World War Z is really high on my list of "to read" books. I need to get to it a little quicker it seems after some more rave reviews.

I'm currently reading Wicked (finally) and after that I plan to start I Am Legend. Gotta read one of the greatest vampire stories before going to see Will Smith all buff.