Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Will my limit game improve?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One plays limit with the feel, nl with the thinking. After nl one is thinking when playing limit, and after limit one is feeling when playing nl.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the greatest baloney I have ever read. You are an idiot, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be one of the funniest posts ever!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Playing some no limit has made me more aware of the bluffing opportunities I have in limit. (Yes, Virginia, there is bluffing in limit poker.)
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM

I found it completely backwards.

Played NL profitably for 4+ years before switching to primarily SH limit for my online game. I still play NL live, and it's SUCH an easier game. If you only have played NL (and aren't a damn savant) you're probably decent at preflop, decent on the flop, and god awful on the turn and river. Playing limit makes you much better at making decisions on all streets.

NL hurts your limit game in some aspects, 'cause you fold very often in NL, whereas showdown monkeys pull in the $ in limit.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found it completely backwards.

Played NL profitably for 4+ years before switching to primarily SH limit for my online game. I still play NL live, and it's SUCH an easier game. If you only have played NL (and aren't a damn savant) you're probably decent at preflop, decent on the flop, and god awful on the turn and river. Playing limit makes you much better at making decisions on all streets.

NL hurts your limit game in some aspects, 'cause you fold very often in NL, whereas showdown monkeys pull in the $ in limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. NL helped me learn to read hands more narrowly, I suppose. I stick with limit because I find NL so bloody boring. The decisions are all pretty easy and you just fold forever. I practically fall asleep.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 PM

To answer the OP, in my experience... NO!

After trying out NL for a few months, I decided to jump back into a limit $1/2 game. Terrible idea.

I lose much more money playing limit than no-limit. That was before trying NL, and after!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Regarding PNLv1: I think it's a great book. I wouldn't try applying all of the concepts at once though. Particularly the SPR stuff. I think you can skip reading this stuff entirely until you feel more comfortable playing NL. It's just too much to keep in mind at the same time, for me at least.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To answer the OP, in my experience... NO!

After trying out NL for a few months, I decided to jump back into a limit $1/2 game. Terrible idea.

I lose much more money playing limit than no-limit. That was before trying NL, and after!

[/ QUOTE ]

All this really says is that you suck at limit.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding PNLv1: I think it's a great book. I wouldn't try applying all of the concepts at once though. Particularly the SPR stuff. I think you can skip reading this stuff entirely until you feel more comfortable playing NL. It's just too much to keep in mind at the same time, for me at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I think trying to stick to SPR and hand planning, and maybe a 40BB buyin is a pretty good way to get your feet wet in NL as a preferable alternative to say 20BB/shortstacking strategy. I wish it was around when I'd started NL.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about learning NL. I have some of the books (not 'Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I', I need that one I guess?).

[/ QUOTE ]

The concepts are pretty advanced for a novice. Not that you're new to poker, just to NL.

A good place to start might be STTs. Just think nit early, LAGtard late, and you're pretty much a solid player.

[ QUOTE ]
I love limit and have absolutely no intention of quitting that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. If only they'd repeal UIGEA and bring back the fish.

[ QUOTE ]
What I wonder is, do you think my limit game will improve by learning NL? If so, in what way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you think.

Thinking about poker helps all forms of poker. I think NL has more scope for thinking. You wouldn't write PNL about limit!

One big plus is that you gain more heart. If you are used to calling for your stack or your tourney life, calling for one bet becomes soooo easy. Even though you learn to fold a ton more in NL, when you come back, you are not a folder. You become much fiercer, much more aggro, much more willing to call the very small bets in limit.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 AM

i started with limit in 2000. played $20-$40 for a year back when that was a big game. wild games, very easy, big swings. pots were so big there wasn't much folding. then got hooked on no-limit.

biggest thing that helped me was physical reads. i started noticing big-hand tells. they didn't conceal their reactions. made many a ninja fold of top pair on the flop, no one the wiser. this had a huge effect on my earn, literally a good read would save 2 big bets. (spend 3-4 fewer but probably was wrong at times.) i wouldn't fold unless i was really confident about it. it happened often, like once every couple hours, a HUGE increase in expectation.

from limit biggest thing that helped me was Tommy's training. i folded blinds waayyyy more than S&M recommended, early position a little more, and played loosely on the button. played about 1 in 6 hands, most in position. that made for an easy position transition.