Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
ps, LOL at whoever said that servers at [censored] chains make close to $20 an hour. not nearly that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine serves at the Cheesecake Factory and he claims to make $700/week working 30-35 hours. So yeah that's $20/hr.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ps, LOL at whoever said that servers at [censored] chains make close to $20 an hour. not nearly that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine serves at the Cheesecake Factory and he claims to make $700/week working 30-35 hours. So yeah that's $20/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheesecake is fairly pricy compared to most chain shops people would think about when he made that statement. Also they are always [censored] packed to the gills.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheesecake is fairly pricy compared to most chain shops people would think about when he made that statement. Also they are always [censored] packed to the gills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess compared to like Denny's or IHOP. If we don't drink or have dessert my g/f and I usually get out of there for like $40-50 bucks. Not too pricey, but I live in socal where everything is overpriced.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the $20 on $18 thing, whatever. If all you have is a 20, fine. If you have another single, throw it in there. I know Mbillie's getting railed in this thread, but he was right--just add a buck to every drink price, nits of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
mbillie obviously isn't getting railed for thinking it's a buck/drink. he was getting railed for being generally retarded (including his ludicrous claim that you should tip an increasing amount per drink in a large order).

as far as the rounding down for several drinks things goes, i think most people generally acknowledge that getting 4 drinks for a single person is less work for the bartender than getting 4 drinks for 4 separate people, and rounding down reflects this view, which is both fully rational and fully fair. (you only need to initially approach the customer and take his order once, you only have to make 1 trip to the register, frequently a large order has many of the same drink which saves time, etc, etc.)
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Here's a better way of summing up the tipping etiquette at a bar:

if you are sober enough to be able to figure out some consistent way of tipping other than $1/drink, you suck too much to be at a bar
Old 11-07-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a better way of summing up the tipping etiquette at a bar:

if you are sober enough to be able to figure out some consistent way of tipping other than $1/drink, you suck too much to be at a bar

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes no sense. If anything being too [censored] up will lead you to grabbing and counting as little bills as possible.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

mbillie,

since from my poll 66% of all respondents said they'd tip $25 on a 4-beer $22 bar order, i'd say rounding down is common enough that there's no way bartenders even expect $1/drink for multiple drink orders. if most people don't pay it, and most people don't expect it, then your claim is just not reasonable.

if a bartender can't understand why $3 on a 4-drink order is reasonable then don't feel bad contributing to his unhappiness by tipping him less than he thinks he's entitled to.

unlike many waitresses who make crap, most bartenders do pretty well and can't really appeal to general concern for fairness
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM

Holy [censored] Christ this thread is terrible. Why is this still here?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM

same reason newphews thread is still on the front page.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess compared to like Denny's or IHOP. If we don't drink or have dessert my g/f and I usually get out of there for like $40-50 bucks. Not too pricey, but I live in socal where everything is overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could definitely see $20/hr at cheesecake.
They're crowded, more expensive, waiters/waitresses are better/more efficient and probably handle more tables/hr, etc.

Anyway this is really off topic but yeah I was thinking of like Applebee's, IHOP, etc. I'd highly doubt the average waiter there is making anywhere near $20/hr. I'm sure it happens if you get the best shifts, etc. but not common imo.