Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Do you believe the Iraq war is about terrorism or natural resource

One study, published by the Lancet medical journal in October 2006, suggested that about 655,000 people had died in Iraq as a result of the 2003 invasion.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One study, published by the Lancet medical journal in October 2006, suggested that about 655,000 people had died in Iraq as a result of the 2003 invasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a study published by my ass, stated that 10 billion people died in Iraq as a result of Saddam's farts.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM

I believe the study you're referring to is the one I cited from Johns Hopkins U.

From the Lancelot report:

Lancelot Report

Contributors

L Roberts was the lead investigator in the field and was principally responsible for the data analysis, interpretation, and preparation of this report. R Lafta was involved in study design, hired, trained, and oversaw the interview staff, led one of the two study teams, coordinated all logistical aspects of the study, and had a central role in data interpretation and preparation of this report. R Garfield advised on issues of study design, study execution, participated in the analysis and interpretation of data and preparation of this report, and initially organised the study team. J Khudhairi was involved in the study design, interviewer training, and oversaw one of the two survey teams in the field. G Burnham advised on issues of study design, study execution, participated in the analysis and interpretation of data and preparation of this report, and organised and facilitated the ethics review process at Johns Hopkins University.

Here's a linky that I've posted before about that study. I consider it to be a balanced article about that study:

The Number

Let's just say that there was a lot of criticism as to how the authors did their study. I could post several links but you can find the criticism of the methodology on your own if interested. The article dissusses some of the criticism and the authors of the study reactions to the criticism. The methodology from the Iraqi body count organization is described so it's easy to compare and see why they may have arrived at vastly different numbers. One thing I will note from the article about the study:

"[But] it's absolutely appropriate, on very limited resources, to go into a place like Iraq and make an estimate of excess mortality to use in planning and making decisions. My own sense is I would rather err on the side of generating potentially useful data, with all of the caveats. I think noisy data is better than no data." Zeger notes that the tests of the data's validity, built into the second survey at his recommendation, all checked out. He admits the numbers are hard to grasp, especially the study's estimate that from June 2005 to June 2006, Iraqis were dying at a rate of 1,000 per day. "That's a lot of bodies," he says. "I have a hard time getting my mind around that. But as a scientist, what do you do? That's the number."

This strikes me as kind of George Bush type of comment, hey the number seems ridiculous but I couldn't have erred so it has to be right.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Do you believe the Iraq war is about terrorism or natural resources?

It's not about Oil. Look up biobutanol and Dow chemicals.
It's not about 9/11 terrorism. Taliban was in Sudan Pakistan and Afganistan.

So, its either about something super Top Secret concerning CIA/Russia/space aliens/origin of man, etc.

Or, it's about the Bushes, Haliburton, Blackwater and special interests.

99% not about Sadaam having WMDs.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not about Oil. Look up biobutanol and Dow chemicals.
It's not about 9/11 terrorism. Taliban was in Sudan Pakistan and Afganistan.

So, its either about something super Top Secret concerning CIA/Russia/space aliens/origin of man, etc.

Or, it's about the Bushes, Haliburton, Blackwater and special interests.

99% not about Sadaam having WMDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was about oil. look up oil reserves
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Yeah, we had a [censored] load of oil reserves. We still do. + Tar sands.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, it's about the Bushes, Haliburton, Blackwater and oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

The Iraq war was about me! The politicians in Washington D.C. are continuously trying to please me and think of ways to make my life better. They lay awake at night thinking of ways that they can help and assist me. I sleep soundly with the knowledge that politicans have my best interests at heart and always do what is best for me.

Thank you O Wise and Selfless members of government, I salute you!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM

I think the war was about both terrorism and natural resources. It's been a disaster on both counts.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the war was about both terrorism and natural resources. It's been a disaster on both counts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are saying the planners from Cheney on down had the goal of reducing terrorism in mind when they decided to start a war with Iraq? Or do you think the intended effect of the war was to increase the chances of an attack?