Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Iso push here feels weird

FT Daily Double:

Blinds 100/200

Villain1 (1700), CO-1: Pretty tight and straight forward

Villain2 (4054), Button: Another "special" player. Loose passive on the flop, plays all sorts of trash, mini-raises with hands he considers strong (like A9o), will get his money in with marginal holdings on the flop. IT IS TELLING, because I was thinking about this, that after I 3-bet with AA in BB against UTG's raise and Villain's limp, that he folded to a UTG 4-bet, and then discussed how he "once again" folded 55 and would have hit a set.

Hero (15,342): Came in with about 8000, bluffed once, showed down AA v. KK for big pot.

Hand:

Folds to Villain1 who raises to 700, Villain2 calls, Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB who ___________?

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Iso push here feels weird

We are way ahead of his range & you've seen him fold to this. Take the overlay his weakness has given us, shove.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM

I played just over 1100 hands last night and got AQ 24 times ... raised every time (once I folded as a couple of tight players were all in ahead of me and I was covered by both) and was down thousands of chips in every manner possible.

So fold that trash

Actually you have a nice spot hereand I put them both allin.

wtf is villain #1 doing betting 700 leaving 1000 behind? He show AA or KK or something?

edit: also based on reads and history i don't think you have much fe here and wouldn't be at all surprised if you get calls from both of them
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Passive? Go and go? Raise to 2500... it's enough to fold him if he's going to and enough that it leaves a bad passive player enough back that maybe he folds to you on the flop when you miss and c-bet. Myabe i'm speaking out my ass but that's my play.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Passive? Go and go? Raise to 2500... it's enough to fold him if he's going to and enough that it leaves a bad passive player enough back that maybe he folds to you on the flop when you miss and c-bet. Myabe i'm speaking out my ass but that's my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never flat calling that raise, may as well shove. I'd rather play this with his donated overlay, heads up vs shortie.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM

i think this is a very interesting spot.

i would say you are behind villain 1, but in front of villain 2.

with these stack sizes i would try this:
raise to ~2500. villain 1 has to call this - villain 2 gets great odds to call this to. as he is pot committed with a call he will shove - thats what you want - now you can even loose against villain 1 but still win.

i like these kind of stack-size poker.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a very interesting spot.

i would say you are behind villain 1, but in front of villain 2.

with these stack sizes i would try this:
raise to ~2500. villain 1 has to call this - villain 2 gets great odds to call this to. as he is pot committed with a call he will shove - thats what you want - now you can even loose against villain 1 but still win.

i like these kind of stack-size poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Creative, but I just shove for full value against villain 2's range. He'll probably call with AJ or AT (which he may dump to a go and go) and you'll get maximum value against him.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM

This whole 2500 idea, to a bad player, may be interpreted as really weak and he may think he has FE and push with a small pair (like 33 or 44) which he would fold otherwise. I'm looking to fold out 33, 44, 55 here but, get AJo and A10 to call.

Now, here is a question of stylistics (lol): In the hand, I push for 15.2K (whatever I had), the player in BB had 2.3K, so no biggy from that front. Is this better or worse than raising to 4K (Villain2's amount) in terms of psychology. And why?

Barry
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

i like raising to the exact amount of their stack so it looks like I have it out for them
Old 07-27-2007, 04:30 PM

I many times just cover the opponents stack if it is someone I perceive as a thinking player and I don't want a call.
My guess is that that signals to them that I'm looking for a call, while against a donk they might perceive it as more threatening with an all-in.

Here it seems like we have a not very good player that probably has a lesser holding and want to induce a call, so then I might opt for making a raise the size of his stack to make it seem a bit more harmless to him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not sure if my thinking is right and probably there very little to be gained or lost by either approach.