Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
(1) GoldenEye 75 70.75%
(8) Diamonds Are Forever 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: We win (AP Scandal v. 27)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me why there's all the hate for mark sief? Is everyone still suspecting him of wrong doing because of 1 hand that may or may not have even happened a year ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

His comments in chat as well as his public statements have not helped his image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the comments just make him look like a d'bag, or do they incriminate him?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda tempted to post what I know, but I'm not going to. I want to see if AP tries to lie again or doesn't really come clean in their statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREE 100%. We can NOT tip our hand on this, and reveal what we know, b/c it allows Absolute to construct a more elaborate lie. Your instincts are correct on this one. Close to the vest is best. Everyone's blood-lust will be satisfied in the end, but for now, let's give them enough rope to hang themselves (again).

[/ QUOTE ]

This strategy gets my vote, and i don't think its close.

edit: vote=opinion obv.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Potslammer is just a 2+2 spammer account and is not actually an account on AP.

Re: KGC - You guys should understand what the KGC is. They essentially have three relevant businesses/hats: Absolute/UB [the upper management is very intimately connected with Chief Norton], their formerly toothless audit group that audits everyone but is now very quickly growing a spine (employing Gaming Associates to audit AP), and a big server farm that happens to host Stars and a bunch of other places. Being located on the server farm in and of itself doesn't mean a site did anything wrong, because that farm may be the most convenient place to run a site from in the world. Further, at this point, I have reason to believe that there are so many alarm bells going off at KGC that they won't be asleep at the switch again for a very long time - they didn't like this little surprise any more than we did, since it's a nasty hit to all their core businesses.

In other words, Stars etc. have nothing to do with this, but will now be closely scrutinized by people with a lot more at stake, anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if the heads of KGC have any sense, they will throw AP under the bus if there is any truth that the scandal goes all the way up to upper management (and I think the likelihood that is the case is reasonably high). If they can look at this objectively, they have to know that AP is now damaged goods, and if the corruption involves upper management and wasn't just an inside job they likely won't be able to recover much.

OTOH the longer they refrain from that after they have completed their investigation, the higher chance sites like Stars will just stop doing business with them at all. That is, as Andathar suggests, they have to worry about serious impact to their other business units. And if AP is going to lose value, the other units take on much greater importance.

Now, whether or not they have the wisdom to do this, I can't say. So far we have seen AP's comic failure in containing and controlling the situation, which doesn't speak well of the overarching organization at all. The smart thing to do is to distance KGC from AP, which starts with a cold, impersonal investigation that is brutally honest in its findings. I guess we have a week or two before we know how the investigation turns out (if we are lucky). This all probably depends too much on whether KGC believes clients like PokerStars will go ahead and sever relationships in order to avoid being tainted by the association.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm reading into this the KGC and AP are very intimately related. And probably part of the reason AP wants this to go away before their connections are further revealed
Old 10-19-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's my point. What if AP had internally uncovered this cheating, without any of us having noticed it? Do you honestly expect them to issue a press release saying HAY GUYS OUR SYSTEMS WERE COMPROMISED AND OUR PLAYERS WERE CHEATED OUT OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in a perfect world with an actual security team and a gaming commission that provides actual oversight, yes, I do expect that. When Marco complained that he thought he was cheated, I would expect them to spend a half hour to examine the hole cards and realize that something was wrong. I don't know, maybe you expect to be cheated and stolen from by everyone you meet, but I expect not to. If it were incompetence that kept them from catching it, ok, I can accept that as long as when it gets brought to their attention they realize their mistakes and take action to beef up security. Look at the random guy who was staked and sent back close to a 100k, it's possible to have integrity with large amounts of money on the line, so I don't see why I shouldn't hold my poker site to that level of scrutiny.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Maybe I'm being harsh on AP here, but it seems very odd that they need this long between telling us they're going to issue a statement admitting cheating and actually issuing the statement. If they're telling the absolute (hoho) truth, surely it wouldn't take this long to write the statement?

One thing I do know. If they come out with another truckload of steaming lies, 2+2 is going to be angry beyond belief. Personally if I don't believe AP's statement, I will not associate with any affiliate or other company who offers AP-related products or advertises AP.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No management personnel were involved in this incident, the company official relayed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then right after that:

[ QUOTE ]
"The person in question knew the internal system at Absolute Poker intimately."

[/ QUOTE ]
Does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously never worked in IT.
Management with intimate knowledge of the internal systems would be an exception rather than the rule.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No management personnel were involved in this incident, the company official relayed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then right after that:

[ QUOTE ]
"The person in question knew the internal system at Absolute Poker intimately."

[/ QUOTE ]
Does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously never worked in IT.
Management with intimate knowledge of the internal systems would be an exception rather than the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I'm going to bed. I look forward to reading AP's statement when I get up.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:14 PM

I found the thread from the NYT blog by Steve Levitt, and have been very interested. Thanks to Nat and the rest of you for the work you did - unbelievable. I'm a professor at Baylor University and want to contact the Waco Tribune and the Baylor Lariat (Baylor's newspaper) to encourage them to cover this because of TheWacoKid having an affiliation with the school and town, but before I do, I just wanted confirmation that in fact TheWacoKid is Jared Hamby, and not someone else. And can someone say briefly what role he, Nat and anyone else had in bringing this to light.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda tempted to post what I know, but I'm not going to. I want to see if AP tries to lie again or doesn't really come clean in their statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being a [censored] tease [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

just hold off and wait and see what absolute does. That would be the best play for everyone involved and the community, if they come clean well know, and if they dont then you can call them out on it
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If a company cheats me and we find out about it

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my point. What if AP had internally uncovered this cheating, without any of us having noticed it? Do you honestly expect them to issue a press release saying HAY GUYS OUR SYSTEMS WERE COMPROMISED AND OUR PLAYERS WERE CHEATED OUT OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you neglecting the initial investigation they said they conducted? Take your pick, but they are either lying or incompetent, and in either case why reward them with further business when there are plenty of other rooms to choose from?
Closed Thread