Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Checkraise, Checkcall x2

Villian is unknown.

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

I usually play it like this, is this standard, or does anyone bet/fold, or bet/call and check/call or check/fold river? Just checking.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Checkraise, Checkcall,

i dont like a check in that spot. The board is just too drawheavy. By checking you show that you are willing to see the river so you wont get many bluffs but a lot of freecards.

vs an aggressive villain, i would play bet/calldown for bluffinduction
vs a passive opponent i would play bet/call and if he raises you fold the river unimproved
Old 07-14-2007, 12:02 PM

i dont really like checking there either altho i dont have great reasons to list why at the moment, I think u just get valueowned too much and miss value being oop when ur still ahead and hed have shown down Qx KJ AJ with a redraw ect, he does take a freecard occasionally also and cks behind the river a ton when ur ahead.

assuming he bet calls the river with whatever he raises on the turn (and any time he doesnt u had the best hand so this assumption is fine i think logically) I think u have the implied odds/plus the chance hes bluffing or spewing with something like AcQ or KcQ to not wanna bet fold the turn (dont know why people would raise that here but they do sometimes). if hes solid u can fold the river UI w/o much thought.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 PM

I agree checking is pretty horrible, the Pot is quite big and giving freecards sucks big Time. VS unknown it might seem ok to get sd cheap and dont risk a bluff but i dont think u get bluffraised enough here + i think betting and paying off with the worse hand always is better then chk the Turn.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Checkraise, Checkcall x2

[ QUOTE ]
bet/call and check/call

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i like that. there is both value and induced-bluff-or-sb-raise equity in betting the turn, which will prolly more than offset the times you are up against a flush or str8.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree checking is pretty horrible, the Pot is quite big and giving freecards sucks big Time. VS unknown it might seem ok to get sd cheap and dont risk a bluff but i dont think u get bluffraised enough here + i think betting and paying off with the worse hand always is better then chk the Turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot can't be much smaller on the turn after defending a steal raise. It doesn't suck bigtime to offer a free card because he might not take it or he can have so many outs that he's got close to half equity of that bet anyway.
I don't understand this: "i dont think u get bluffraised enough here + i think betting and paying off with the worse hand always is better then chk the Turn"

I check/call down an unknown from the turn here.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Very standard on every street IMO.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM

I like it...

I disagree with the "your never folding blah blah blah, villain has an easy free card etc.."

First of all, a villain with top pair may think he's good and bet for value all the way.

Second of all you may get a hand like A9 w.o club to pay you off on the river, who would now fold to a bet.. You dont care if he gets a free card.

Third, there ARE hands in your range that you can check fold if villain bets this turn... 87o etc..

Pot is medium-small so giving a free card is not a huge deal.

Also, this board is so scary/co-ordinated, it is not the standard board to bluff raise at.. I think even LAGtard villains have the goods most of the time when they raise this turn.

It is close though... cause your definitly missing some bets against hands like AJ/KJ , and against passive unknowns Qx and 98, and garbage with a club that would call you on the turn. The extra bet you save against flush/straight may not offset the bets you lose from those hands above... It's really a matter of frequency which is pretty impossible to estimate vs an unknown..
AT,KT,QT,JT,9T,T8s,T7s + flush combos just seems such a huge number of hands for villain to have, then when you add in a small probabily of an over-agressive villain raising top two pair..
Old 07-18-2007, 02:31 PM

This is my standard line too. People check being almost never on the turn and if they do I bet the river and get called almost 100% of the time.

Being raised on the turn is awful here since the pot is small and you probably have to call down because you might have the best hand.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM

the essential difference between checking and betting the turn:

when you bet, you win 1 to 2 when ahead and lose 3 when behind. when you check, you win 0 to 1 when ahead and lose 2 when behind. so i think its pretty obvious which route to take.