Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

Does anybody know what Carr's retirement will do with recruits committed to UM for next year? As much as I'm excited about a coaching change, I don't want to see Sam McGuffie decommit in favor of A&M.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I'm sure tOSU fans are drooling at the thought of this

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles can't be any worse than Lloyd, so I suspect OSU fans are indifferent. If the "Miles is a total luckbox donk" narrative is true, that still makes him the equivalent of Lloyd, who (I think) everyone agrees isn't a great coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Les Miles makes Lloyd Carr look like Knute Rockne.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While I'm sure tOSU fans are drooling at the thought of this

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles can't be any worse than Lloyd, so I suspect OSU fans are indifferent. If the "Miles is a total luckbox donk" narrative is true, that still makes him the equivalent of Lloyd, who (I think) everyone agrees isn't a great coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
El-oh-el

Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 PM

I just read this at MGOBLOG, too. Let's hope it is true. I don't know if I could take another year of Carr/DeBord. Now the important question of the replacement. My preference would be any coach who not only didn't play or coach for Bo, but never even met the guy. I am one of the small minority of Michigan people who doesn't worship at the altar of Bo.

Whoever it is, I hope they totally clean house. First on that list: get rid of the piece of [censored] strength coach Mike Gittleson. I have been hearing from people in the know for years about Gittleson. Glad Brian at MGOBLOG mentioned him today in his list of gripes. Second on the list, deport Mike DeBord. Not only shouldn't he be retained at offensive coordinator, he shouldn't be allowed to live in the state.

Hopefully my dreams come true and we hire a coach who will call a post pass. The first time I see UM throw a pass in the middle of the field will be the happiest day of my life. What other teams take forgranted, is only a dream for a UM fan.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody know what Carr's retirement will do with recruits committed to UM for next year? As much as I'm excited about a coaching change, I don't want to see Sam McGuffie decommit in favor of A&M.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that we will suffer a string of decommits. McGuffie has family ties to Michigan from his father. I know his mother wants him to stay home, though. In UM's case, I believe most recruits are drawn to the program, rather than to Carr. I don't think his leaving will be a deal breaker with our commitments.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

I think Les Miles is the most realistic candidate.

Guy that I would love to see as the next Michigan head coach: Bill Cowher.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Interesting stats-thing

Don't know if this is meaningful but it is an interesting look (I thought) at Carr vs. other coaches against different types of teams (by ranking). Infer whatever you will from it.

BTW, if Michigan wins Carr will be 3rd all-time in Big Ten win % (10 season minimum; this keeps Tressel out, though he'll be way up there in 3 years) behind Bo and Yost. Woody is 3rd/4th, Crisler is 5th.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that we will suffer a string of decommits. McGuffie has family ties to Michigan from his father. I know his mother wants him to stay home, though. In UM's case, I believe most recruits are drawn to the program, rather than to Carr. I don't think his leaving will be a deal breaker with our commitments.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be interesting to see if Carr stays on in some capacity - assistant AD or something. If so, that'll help in maintaining the recruiting class.

There will probably be decommits. It happens. But a new coach might also pick some up, so if the change happens quickly and smoothly, I'm optimistic.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 PM

as a buckeyes fan, i would be a lot happier with michigan hiring les miles than i would be with michigan hiring jeff tedford or jon gruden.

is miles better than carr? sure, but that's not really the debate here.