Old 11-17-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Zero Rake Poker Business plan

How does the site make money? Ads?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the site make money? Ads?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's all gonna be sponsored by RedBull... How else are we supposed to stop ourselves dozing between hands?

The whole idea sounds great, but if you can only play a single table then I don't think it's really gonna take off...

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 04:12 AM

Ok Tuff, I’ll bite.

On the face of it, it would be a great idea apart from the 1 table aspect. I don’t understand why you would limit to 1 table. Let people have multiple accounts as long as they don’t play at the same table and let them change names as often as they like. No tracking systems allowed.

I don’t know if you are just blowing in the wind but if you have an idea go for it. However, don’t come on here offering just a snippet of information and expect everybody to roll over and say how great you are. If you work with posters here are ask for ideas to help or improve your model you will gain support. If you berate people because they have not immediately fallen at your feet then you will get nowhere.

You say there is a catch but won’t tell us what that is. This immediately makes people think there is a serious flaw to your model.

Good luck if you are serious but give more info if you want to gain support from hardened players who have heard a million theories before.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 AM

Time for bucket Tuffrus.

"I has a business plan."

"Oh noes... they be stealing my business plan!!"
Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 AM

This has been tried before, and failed horribly.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Time for bucket Tuffrus.

"I has a business plan."

"Oh noes... they be stealing my business plan!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFLMAO
Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 AM

Tuff,
I do like some of your ideas and I'm all for getting rid of the 16 tabling nut peddlers but I really don't see how this could work. I think you are underestimating the startup costs and the cost of drawing players to the site, where are those dollars coming from? Then of course you have all the other operational expenses that come with running a functional poker site. I look forward to hearing why anyone would want to start such a site.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 AM

I think you should have 50 sites like this. One for every state in the US. Of course out-of-state visitors would also be welcome to each site -- perhaps there should be a centralised user database so visitors from one state can seamlessly log onto and fund another. Also the software should be fast and not keep crashing, so you could open some other programs at the same time. Then it would be perfectly reasonable not to allow players to play more than one table at each site.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

........ but I really don't see how this could work. I think you are underestimating the startup costs and the cost of drawing players to the site, where are those dollars coming from? Then of course you have all the other operational expenses that come with running a functional poker site. I look forward to hearing why anyone would want to start such a site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am really not sure how much it would cost to support such a site as I have outlined.

Does anybody have any idea how much it costs to run a site? That is, the direct costs of software leasing (buying?), running a server farm, and security? Customer support would be minimal. You help yourself. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I have been working on a round number of $100,000 a month, $1.2 million a year. I have no clue if the is reasonable or not.

Is anybody in the know here?

Seriously.

Tuff

PS:

This whole idea was reborn in my head by the "The Rake is Too Much" thread. Seems some folks think it only takes pennies to run a table. Are they correct? If so we are definitely in business.