Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Got him in the middle

"and I may not be able to get any raises in if I improve."

Please explain this thinking????? What do you think seat 4 puts you on? Aces? You appear to be on a draw, with another 6 dead. Seat 4 is punishing seat 8 and will not give him a free card on 6th. A CR on 6th is wide open and a bet on 7th will be called. You are risking 1 BB (6th) for 2 to 6 BBs, if you catch. It doesn't get any better than this. If you played this hand a 100 times you would make more money with a 5th st call. Let seat 4 lead the betting. You're getting great odds here.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"and I may not be able to get any raises in if I improve."

Please explain this thinking????? What do you think seat 4 puts you on? Aces? You appear to be on a draw...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that my pounding the pot looks like a draw. It looks like I have Aces under (which I do), or maybe a pair + draw. If that's the case, I'm certainly not getting in a raise if I catch an Ace, a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or another Six. If I catch a non-club Eight, I might get a raise in. If I catch a Seven or a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I'll probably get a free card, and I'll take it, because I'll still be behind and hoping to catch.

I didn't make the best play, which would have been to get it capped on Fifth. That would make the pot big enough that I'd get overcalls from two guys with Kings-up if I improve my hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM

When u hit, you get paid off. When u miss, a cheap fold. It doesn't get any better. Its insane, especially this part;

"If I catch a Seven or a club, I'll probably get a free card, and I'll take it, because I'll still be behind and hoping to catch"

You'll get it with a call too. This is truly the funny part, because on one hand you think, he thinks you have Aces. You can't have it both ways E. 1 BB is the cheapest way, which could net 6 BB or a free 6th and 7th.

And BTW could you please tell me what exactly is a DECENT player. Is this a positive or negative characterization. Because DECENT is a losing player in my book. As in, a player you could CR. Which you are in a perfect position to pull off.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When u hit, you get paid off. When u miss, a cheap fold. It doesn't get any better. Its insane, especially this part;

"If I catch a Seven or a club, I'll probably get a free card, and I'll take it, because I'll still be behind and hoping to catch"

[/ QUOTE ]
On Fifth I have a significant equity edge, and I ought to be exploiting it by getting more bets in the pot, though my hand is not "best" at the moment.

On Sixth, I am only getting one more shot at my outs, and my equity position, while solid is no longer a big money favorite, so I am not looking to get more money in the pot unless I improve, which will be more difficult, since I will not be in a position to raise if I improve in sight, since I will get checked-to.

[ QUOTE ]
And BTW could you please tell me what exactly is a DECENT player. Is this a positive or negative characterization. Because DECENT is a losing player in my book. As in, a player you could CR. Which you are in a perfect position to pull off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would consider a player decent (whether or not I have an edge on him) if he is not too loose on third, gets reasonable value for his hands, attempts to eliminate drawing hands early, doesn't play one-way draws heads-up in small pots, that sort of thing. I have PTS stats on most of my regular opponents, and most of those that I consider "decent" are also winning players. I would not generally consider losing players "decent."
Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 PM

"significant equity edge," How so???????????

So seat 4 is a solid player?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM

["significant equity edge," How so???????????]

Explained in my earlier post in this thread.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM

So sevenfold what's E's range here, given that Seat 4 is a solid player, its a high ante game and he has an extremely agressive betting pattern with a King in the door. Somehow, someway Seat 4 has the case King covered (maybe collusion with hand that was folded on 3rd). So what are his likely hole cards, given his betting pattern on 4th and especially 5th.

And BTW what are the odds that two players having wired Aces in the same hand. How about E's thought process that seat 4 has put him on a pair of Aces? Then how likely is Seat 4 going to have Aces himself???????????

By EV range, I mean whats the highest and lowest EV our HERO faces, that makes sense when coupled with Seat 4's,(a solid stud player) betting pattern. It appears that you have selected the most favorable EV calculations to determine a "significant equity edge". In my opinion, EV is a blend of various likely hands, best case and worse case. The worse case is very nasty and is a lot more probable than two players having wired Aces. In addition, doesn't Broadway cards include Aces, maybe the Ace of spades?

Do you think your following comment applies to a solid stud player, who "gets reasonable value for his hands", two streets in a row?

"In situations like this, where someone starts with Ks, and someone else makes open Ks, the original player sometimes goes berserk at the audacity of the other playing making 'his' hand, and bets and bets and bets (I know you don't have three Ks) regardless of what the third player in the hand might be doing."
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM

From OP:
On Five, I am pretty sure I'm between bare Kings (limper in seat 8 who probably has Broadway cards in the hole) and Kings-up (decent, aggressive player in seat 4 who may also just have Kings, but I lean towards two pair)

So lets give seat 4 two pair----------2s Kc) Kh 5s 2d
and seat 8 broadway cards with an ace-As Qd) Ks Kd 6d

Our equity here is 48%

Jam it jam it jam it.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 PM

What happened on 6th / 7th?

-ChipsAhoya
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened on 6th / 7th?

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought the interesting part was Fifth street, so I stopped there. That discussion seems settled for everyone except PCPA, so I'll tell the rest.

On six, I catch an Ace. Kings check, I bet, both call. On the river, I brick. Kings check, I bet, seat 4 calls with Kings and Fives, seat 8 folds.