Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Steve,

Steve Earle had this to say about you in an interview:

"I was a Nirvana fan. [Nevermind] was always my favorite. I didn't like the other one [In Utero] because I think [producer] Steve Albini is a jerk. Butch Vig [producer of Nevermind] is an old friend. Butch is a great guy, Steve Albini is a jerk, so I went with a song from the album Butch produced. Also I did it just to surprise Danny, who used to manage Nirvana. I think it worked. It's a fun song to play."

Can you talk about why Steve Earle thinks you are a jerk? What dealings have you had with Steve, and what do you think of him and his music?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

steve, just want to say first you have been a huge influence on me musically and with regards to audio production. now that i am done being a fanboy gushing fago, couple questions:
1) Someone asked about working with The Owls(the joan of arc/ghost n vodka people), i would like to ask how the recording of that album went down? i know they use a lot of pro-tools/digifx in their other bands

2)Whatever happened to the sessions you recorded with FUGAZI? were you or the band not happy with how they turned out, i know it was right before they recorded In On THe Kill Taker. i figured yr production style would work perfectly with their sound
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM

op, i think i've waited on you at clarkes on belmont. pretty sure you gave me your card or e-mail or something. small world.

edit: oops, just started reading the thread...if youre steve albini, i guess im way off..have you had a chance to hear russian circles yet!? 3 piece chicagoan beasts.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Hey Steve,

Do you keep in touch with the guys from Jesus Lizard? If they were to reform do you think you'd work with them again?
(I'm guessing not if they made another album like Shot or Blue)
Do you know if there were any extra tracks recorded during the Goat & Liar sessions that didn't make it onto the final album?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 PM

Hi Steve,

It's been really cool reading this whole thread. Not too much into the Haiku stuff, so I'll just ask this plain style.

I am a drummer, recorder and a big fan of Dave Grohl's sound and playing, especially on the "In Utero" record. I'm always experimenting, trying to get big sounds like that one.

I tried to figure out the most I could about the recording, which isn't much actually. It would have been Dave on a Tama Artstar II kit in a wooden or stone room with lots of mic's all over the place, even ones taped to the floor.

This is about all I could find about it and I would love to find out more.

I tried several recordings of drumsets and found that when using too many (room) mics, the sounds gets muddy and loses it's power. If you did use many mics on this record, was the trick for keeping power avoiding phase issues by very precise mic placement?

Do you also recall any special things about the drum set, drum heads or tuning?

I would love to learn more about how you did this record. It sounds really great to me. For me, that drum sound is right up there with the old Led Zeppelin records. Great!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 PM

both of the last 2 posters-

suck a dick
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM

futuredoc85, if you don't like my questions then go clean up your ma's vaginal discharge.

I can ask what questions I like, sorry if i didn't ask a question that relates to your [censored] taste in music.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:03 PM

Thanks, futuredog.

But I presume Steve has stopped posting on this thread? Or does it just take a while?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 PM

No he don't post here no more. That band Morsel ruined it for everybody.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM

I am recording a string quartet at my apartment this weekend and I only have 1 mic (a rode nt-4). where should I put it? I know "it depends" and "wherever sounds good" but srsly, any hot tips?