Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Rolled Kings against good opponent

[ QUOTE ]
When my opponents confuse me, I have a marked tendency to call them down.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and not raise them any more. Me too. I'm wondering how bad that is, and if this baffled call-down isn't exactly what this player intended once he was forced out of position. There's no doubt more bets go in if I fill-up, and he knows that, so he can get away after each bet if he has to. And if I have a (winning) two-pair, I may be convinced not to call the last bet on the river, and in any case, he has succeeded in freezing the action at one more bet per street.

I think it's a viable play if he has a marginal hand and can't give me credit for trips, given that he knows I respect his ability. But it's pretty weird.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM

I do not put the Villian on 8-9-10 when you say he is a solid pro and you completed. He certainly shouldn't be on a heads-up str8 draw. I think he has 10's and when he hits his trips on 5th he bets them. When you raise, he knows you have trip 10's beat. he then bets into you on 6th indicating the the 7 on 6th made him a full house. I call it down from here.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 AM

I like the way you played it. Nice hand regardless of outcome...

FWIW, if this is the pro I'm thinking of, he was very aggressive the last time I played him too.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 AM

I'm confused why a professional is playing $8/$16? Is he just learning stud? I cap 6th. It is likel that he has three 10s, but you can;t just assume is is full. Cap it up- and raise the river.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM

Its not bad to call down in these situations in general- especially against good opponents who can read hands. This situation is a clear exception because you played your hand well up until 6th- it is impossible to read. There is no reason that he shouldn't think his three tens are good.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Trip tens, one more bet please
Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused why a professional is playing $8/$16? Is he just learning stud?

[/ QUOTE ]
At the time, this was the biggest stud game running, and I have seen this player playing as small as 3-6 on this site.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM

Sexton? Unless he knows and respects your play I'd probably cap sixth but just call if he still bets out on seventh (and I don't fill).
Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 PM

so here's the whole hand:
7 Card Stud High ($8/$16), Ante $1.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

Seat 1: $283
Seat 2: $126.50
Seat 3: $168
Hero: $244.50
Seat 6: David Chiu $347
Seat 7: $297
Seat 8: $481.50

3rd Street - (1.31 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___completes
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (3.56 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls

5th Street - (2.78 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___raises
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___bets ___calls

6th Street - (6.78 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___raises ___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___bets ___raises

River - (12.78 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx ___bets

Total pot: (14.78 BB - $236.50)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $236.50 | Rake $3

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 6: [Ad Td Th 6h Tc 7d 4s] - three of a kind, Tens

</font>
Seeing all the cards (and assuming the hole cards were dealt as shown), I have to say I do not like villain's play on Fourth, when I catch an Ace, and Fifth and Sixth remain baffling to me.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Well, assuming sound play on his part one of two things is clearly true:

1) He's full
2) He believes your bluffed 6th street.

Your hand initially looks like a steal (maybe unpaired high cards), split kings, or possible a flush draw. You get frisky on 6th, when the purported flush draw hits. He can't put you on aces or split kings because you raised 5th street, but you could be on rolled kings. So his bet on 6th really does represent the boat, because everything you could be on beats trips.

At the same time, there's quite a bit of confusion here because you came in in steal position, and might have bluffed the spade on 6th street.

I think I don't raise 6th since he's representing a hand that beats me, and I call 7th. The 5:1 pot/implied odds on those two bets combined plus the chance of filling up makes me pay off a likely-stronger hand.

I don't think 6th can be raised for value, because I think he's either got air or a boat. I don't expect to see anything in the middle.

BTW, definitely don't open-limp. YUCK!!!!

Edit: as you can guess, I didn't look at results first. Anyone want to take a shot at explaining villain's line on 6th? He pretty much has to think you're bluffing the flush, and if so, when you call his re-raise, why does he bet 7th?