Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: PokerFink\'s NFC Rankings (Week 10)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who has Seattle beat?.... Their stats look impressive because they beat up on awful teams, but they haven't shown that they can actually beat a good team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that a blowout win over a bad team is more impressive than a narrow win over a better team, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Matter of opinion.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who has Seattle beat?.... Their stats look impressive because they beat up on awful teams, but they haven't shown that they can actually beat a good team.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that a blowout win over a bad team is more impressive than a narrow win over a better team, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Charger's win over Ind. < Seattle's Win over SF?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me...at all.

Hypothetically: Sea beats NE by a late FG and that isn't as impressive as a 38-13 over Mia? What is the reasoning behind that?

Also, if you come up w/ numbers from some site I don't know how serious I can take them b/c most teams I watch basically take the 4th off (86 NE on this) and I have seen for years give up garbage points as well as don't score in the 4th. Lets say the score was 35-10 at the start of the 4th and the winning team goes into hibernation mode and the crap team scores a TD somewhere in the middle of the 4th--35-17...then they score a garbage TD w/ a 1 minute left with the game decided and the final is 35-24. Game looks much closer than it was, the 4th was played differently than the rest of the game though--this doesn't mean that it is more difficult to blowout a bad team.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't a matter of opinion. Blowouts vs bad teams have more predictive success than close wins against good teams. See here.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me...at all.

Hypothetically: Sea beats NE by a late FG and that isn't as impressive as a 38-13 over Mia? What is the reasoning behind that?

Also, if you come up w/ numbers from some site I don't know how serious I can take them b/c most teams I watch basically take the 4th off (86 NE on this) and I have seen for years give up garbage points as well as don't score in the 4th. Lets say the score was 35-10 at the start of the 4th and the winning team goes into hibernation mode and the crap team scores a TD somewhere in the middle of the 4th--35-17...then they score a garbage TD w/ a 1 minute left with the game decided and the final is 35-24. Game looks much closer than it was, the 4th was played differently than the rest of the game though--this doesn't mean that it is more difficult to blowout a bad team.

[/ QUOTE ]

tdarko,

Are you really trying to argue that it's not harder to blowout a good team than a bad team? And what does that even have to do with the question?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Jack,

What? no. I am saying that it is harder to barely beat the 07 New England Patriots than it is to rout the Miami Dolphins. Why is that wrong?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 AM

But we aren't talking about the 07 New England Patriots, we're talking about all good teams. Is it harder to barely beat the Seahawks, Browns, Lions, Eagles, Vikings, etc than it is to rout the Dolphins? (Or any bad team, like the Falcons)

Edit: And a close win over a "good" team has less predictive success than the big wins over bad teams.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But we aren't talking about the 07 New England Patriots, we're talking about all good teams. Is it harder to barely beat the Seahawks, Browns, Lions, Eagles, Vikings, etc than it is to rout the Dolphins? (Or any bad team, like the Falcons)

Edit: And a close win over a "good" team has less predictive success than the big wins over bad teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what is the 2007 Patriots second most impressive win? As you might imagine, I have one game in mind.

(I'm assuming we agree the 21 point win on the road at 8-1 Dallas was the most impressive.)
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 AM

The win over Washington, I think. Maybe San Diego.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The win over Washington, I think. Maybe San Diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's scary how good New England seems to be.

Three blowouts versus crappy teams, Bengals, Dolphins and Jets.

Four blowouts versus good teams, Chargers, Browns, Bills and Redskins.

One blowout on road versus an elite team, Cowboys.

One close win on road versus an elite team, Colts.