9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
Go Blue!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the greatest rivalry in sports, and I second your Mike Hart mancrush.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about last year, this year, or in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was actually talking about in general, but someone brought up the points about last years bowl games and he stated the record was 2-1, which was obviously wrong. OK, 2-2, but the thing is the 2 losses came in the biggest games of the season with the biggest teams of the Big ten playing vs the biggest teams of the other conferences.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't let facts or anything get in your way. Anyway, can you quit hijacking this thread and take it to the SEC fanboi spank-a-thon thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my argument was based solely upon Michigan and Ohio State, and none of the other Big Ten teams, and hence my statement, "frankly it doesn't even matter." I'm not really an SEC "fanboi", but just a college football fan in general and noting my opinions.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

Take the games Michigan and OSU played against Michigan State. They are 1-5 in conference and 5-5 overall, with all 5 losses by 7 points or less. They played both Michigan and OSU close, but in the end, the better team prevailed.

If these were SEC teams, Michigan and OSU valiantly played against a tough team that has been beaten up by a tough conference and pulled out a gutty win.

But because they are Big 10 teams, Michigan and OSU aren't very good and were lucky to escape against a mediocre team. I think the real answer is somewhere in between, but you can't tell me that games that close wins like Florida over Kentucky or Ole Miss even are more impressive than wins that OSU and Michigan have over a team like MSU.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about last year, this year, or in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was actually talking about in general, but someone brought up the points about last years bowl games and he stated the record was 2-1, which was obviously wrong.
[ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't. He was saying that the Big Ten was 2-1 vs. SEC in bowl games, which is true.

Yeah, don't let facts or anything get in your way. Anyway, can you quit hijacking this thread and take it to the SEC fanboi spank-a-thon thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my argument was based solely upon Michigan and Ohio State, and none of the other Big Ten teams, and hence my statement, "frankly it doesn't even matter." I'm not really an SEC "fanboi", but just a college football fan in general and noting my opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan is 6-3 in their last nine bowl games vs. SEC teams.

OSU has lost nine bowls in a row vs, the SEC, however. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about this year, the SEC is better. If we're going all-time (or over x years) I'd bet the SEC has an edge too in overall strength. I don't know that Michigan would be a dog though...they've done very very well against the SEC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually all-time the Big10 has a winning record against the SEC by a margin of 94-87-7. Michigan is 19-5 against the SEC including 10-0 against Vanderbilt.

It's kind of skewed because the two SEC schools playing the most Big10/SEC games are Vanderbilt (7-17) and Kentucky (24-31).
Old 11-08-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How can you logically say that OSU/UM would be with the likes of Vandy/Ole Miss in the SEC

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was doing a thing called exaggerating. Apparently it flew over your head.

[ QUOTE ]
I am fairly certain OSU/UM would rise to the top of any major conference pretty quickly if they moved (as would teams like USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse they would. They all have so much history to go off of that it'd be virtually impossible to keep them in the middle ranks for long. With that much history, recruiting would basically be fairly easy and I would expect them to be doing good in every conference or w/e.

I'm only saying that people saying this is the greatest rivalry in college football BECAUSE they're always the top 2 teams in the Big Ten and thus are always ranked really high and thus have NC implications every year have flawed thinking (pretty sure that was a run-on.) All I'm saying was that if they were in a maybe tougher conference, they'd be "exposed" and thus wouldn't be in the NC running every single year. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM

#1 SEC vs #1 Big 10
#2 Big 10 vs #1 Pac-10?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 SEC vs #1 Big 10
#2 Big 10 vs #1 Pac-10?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Also, bowls are played in warm weather. We'll never know how the SEC would do in the 'Shoe or the Big House in November.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 PM

Also USC basically played at home in LA. Pac-10 has been pretty dominant in the Rose Bowl as far as I can remember. Maybe I'm getting my facts wrong.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason SEC matchups like UGA/Florida get more respect than OSU/Mich St. is that Ohio State and Michigan are the only two teams in the Big 10 that ever consistently challenge for a national championship.

In the past 30 years the SEC has had Alabama (3), LSU(1), Tennessee(1), Florida(2), and Georgia(1) all win the national championship and Auburn went undefeated twice (once in 1993 on probation, the other in 2004 when they got shafted by the BCS selection committee.).

In the same time span Michigan and Ohio St. are the only Big 10 teams to win it all. (Penn State did win two before they joined.)

Is it fair? Maybe not; but that's the reason why our conference games are hyped more.