Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 PM

Default value raise non-nut flush?

I think you'll see where I'm going with this. I'm really only concerned with the river.

The flush draw in seat 5 is obviously drawing to a loser, and if he gets there I want him to pay off. When the 2 seat fires on the river, I really wish I knew where the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was.

Is the best play to call and hope seat 5 made his payoff flush for an overcall (or preferably a raise), or raise myself, opening myself up to a three-bet or adding value for a better spade flush?

Just calling seems like I'm leaving money on the table, but what else can the 2-seat have but a flush here, and with my board he shouldn't be drawing to a flush without the Ace. But if that's the case, his call on Fifth is beyond fishy and into psychedelic unless he has specifically A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the hole.

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___brings-in
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (2.83 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___checks ___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___checks ___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___checks ___folds

5th Street - (3.42 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___checks ___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls

6th Street - (6.42 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___checks ___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls

River - (9.42 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx ___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___???
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx ___
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: value raise non-nut flush?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that seat 2 probably sucks at poker. He's probably not folding to your raise, and he probably has a worse hand than yours. The guy behind you is probably drawing to a flush. He won't fold if he makes it, and probably won't call if he doesn't. He cannot beat you (but he could tie you, which would be freaky). I can't think of a reason for you not to raise on the river.

BTW, with two hearts out, third's a little dubious, but I limp in and hope for the best myself.