Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Odd rolled hand

This is pretty odd for a number of reasons, and I've been puzzling how else I could have played it. Interested in comments on first three streets.

The Queen didn't complete on 3rd, which implies a drawing hand, which is why I didn't raise initially on Third. I would have completed if first in, hoping the Ace re-raised. I think raising on the second lap on Third would make my opponents cautious and reduce my implied odds, which left me with call-call.

On Fourth, I have not revealed the strength of my hand yet, and double-bet form open pair is standard (not implying great strength), so I was happy to collect an overcall from probable Aces, planning to raise on the expensive streets.

By the time the third Queen hits on Fifth, there is plenty of money in the pot to warrant calling down full, but a raise seems pointless. Anybody disagree?

I can't imagine anybody would advocate getting sexy on the river, but I've been wrong before.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1.50 (converter)

Seat 1: $209
Seat 2: $165.50
Seat 3: $38
Seat 4: $100
Seat 5: $209.50
Hero: $300.50
Seat 7: $82.50
Seat 8: $305

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls ___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___calls ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___completes
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (4.90 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___double-bets
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls

5th Street - (5.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___bets
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds

6th Street - (7.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls

River - (9.45 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx ___bets
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls

Total pot: (11.45 BB - $114.50)
Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Odd rolled hand

Looks pretty standard to me.

Urge Overkill r00lz.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 AM

I would play it the same. Not much you can do in these situations except call down and hope he started with 3 diamonds and missed.

After you call 4th and 5th, though, he has to know that you have a full house (or that you are insane).

Look at it from his perspective:

For you to call the double bet on 4th street, you probably have to have either pocket Ks/As (doubtful, but possible), Ts and 4s, 3 Ts or 3 4s. I can't imagine calling with anything else, and calling with Ts up is doubtful.

When you call 5th, you have to have 4s full, 10s full or quads (I don't think anyone calls with Ks/As up, though sometimes people surprise me)

Since he knows you have a full house in 5, he is in a bit of a quandry if he all he has are the Qs.

If he checks 6th, do you bet? If he checks 7th, do you bet?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Looks good. I probably would have raised 3rd though but I could understand your reasoning for not doing so. Nice hand. Hope he didn't fill up on you. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 AM

I can understand not raising on 3rd street, but not raising on 4th street just seems wrong to me, inasmuch as it should better define the hand on subsequent streets. Why do all of you think calling on 4th street is better than raising?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all of you think calling on 4th street is better than raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

People almost never fold bare open pairs when they obviously should, so there's a ton more value in raising fifth. Plus getting an overcall from AA is nice.

I see no benefit to us in defining our hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand not raising on 3rd street, but not raising on 4th street just seems wrong to me, inasmuch as it should better define the hand on subsequent streets. Why do all of you think calling on 4th street is better than raising?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm happy not to define my hand until there are more bets in the pot.

Ideally, I would like the Queens to continue to represent on Fourth, and have the Aces hang around (ideally he makes Aces-up), and get a minimum of two (maybe three) bets on Fifth.

In order for that to happen, I have to keep the Aces in the hand on Fourth. He may not even have as much as Aces, in which case I really don't want him out on Fourth.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 PM

As played, with the smallish pot, I honestly think I'd dump it on 5th. I'd have built a much larger pot early, so I'd have to take it to showdown.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy not to define my hand until there are more bets in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part but think about this...what if you raised/capped 3rd would your opponents put you on that big of a hand?? I bring this up because on several occasions I have been rolled, stepped on the gas, filled up or made quads & raked a monster. That play actually camouflaged my hand and that's why it worked. I know alot of that depends on the opponents though...

IMO, this will work a good bit of the time in today's "I-have-to-multi-table" world.