Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Rolled Kings against good opponent

[ QUOTE ]
You don't play (T7)T against a likely steal in a high-ante game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Note that a completion is 4x Bring-In in this game, so there are lots of hands I can play for a limp that I can't play for a full bet. This is probably the definitive case of a "marginal" call, meaning that over time it doesn't really matter if you play or not, and in those situations, since it is so hard to be comfortably ahead enough to get full value, I tend not to play. The immediate pot odds of a call (2.3:1) are probably right on the margin of a neutral play.

That said, I may play this hand or not, but If I were going to play, I would be raising, not calling. I think not raising was a mistake on Chiu's part, even if I happened to have three Kings. It would have confirmed to him that I had a real hand, and he would have been able to take stock better on later streets. With a call, it is apparent that he didn't learn that I had a real hand until it got expensive, and maybe even then he thought I was fanning. Much better to find out early, or force me to fold a bluff before I catch a good card.

Hands I might just call with against a steal would be a live pair+live overcard kicker with a two-flush, live batch of big straight cards with overcards, preferably suited and connected (not applicable this case) or another rolled hand.

Anything else and I'm raising if I play, both to shutter the steal attempt and to take the lead if the hand continues past Fourth.

So, no, I wouldn't call. I might play, but I wouldn't call with Chiu's hand.