Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Default A quotation that should please PTB.

"Thus do the gods justify the life of man: they themselves live it---the only satisfactory theodicy!"
- F.W. Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: A quotation that should please PTB.

[ QUOTE ]
"Thus do the gods justify the life of man: they themselves live it---the only satisfactory theodicy!"
- F.W. Nietzsche, The Birth of Tragedy

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look up Theodicy.

theodicy -
a vindication of the divine attributes, particularly holiness and justice, in establishing or allowing the existence of physical and moral evil.

So what is Niet saying? I don't think he's saying what I've proposed. That God suffers and the divinity of Jesus suffering on the cross gives spiritual evidence of that. By extension I propose that not only did divinity suffer on the cross but divinity experiences all our suffering just as we experience it. God suffers not as a justification for suffering but because to be God he must. Not a justification for suffering but an assurance of God's love.

It looks like Niet is saying that we make the gods in the image of man to justify ourselves who we have thereby turned into gods. Thus a Theodicy for our own divinity. A criticism of NotReady I believe.

Or maybe you think this applies to my recent comments on the Spiritual Evolution of Man. We have a natural Evolving Morality which we justify by attributing it to a God who we make in the image of our natural evolving morality. Thus justifying it and essentially declaring ourselves a divine source for our Morality. That theory may be logically consistent but it's not falsifiable. What if there is a God?

PairTheBoard
Old 06-07-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like Niet is saying that we make the gods in the image of man to justify ourselves who we have thereby turned into gods. Thus a Theodicy for our own divinity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather, a Theodicy for the Divinity that breathes us into existence---a theodicy for the convalescing breath of a God suffering with too great a fullness of Beauty and Being. A fullness he must exhale in ALL its expressions, both awesome and terrible.

Nietzsche was such a gorgeous mind. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

P.S. Don't trust NR! He only trusts Calvinists, so by transitivity you're taking a murdering egomaniac's word.

Edit - P.P.S. The above quotation, in context, is Nietzsche's formulation of the Ancient Greek's "spirituality", if you will. As far as I know, Nietzsche did not consider the quotation a commentary on reality, but it's certainly a beautiful image in any case.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 PM

his books dont get good till the syphilis kicks in
Old 06-08-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW YOU MUST BE SO EDUCATED 2 KNOW THAT SORT OF OBSCURE HISTORICAL TRIVIA AND I'M SURE YOU'VE ACTUALLY READ NIETZSCHE AND AREN'T JUST MAKING A STUPID DISMISSIVE COMMENT THAT REVEALS YOUR MISPLACED MORAL HUBRIS AND TIMID INTELLECT.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW YOU MUST BE SO EDUCATED 2 KNOW THAT SORT OF OBSCURE HISTORICAL TRIVIA AND I'M SURE YOU'VE ACTUALLY READ NIETZSCHE AND AREN'T JUST MAKING A STUPID DISMISSIVE COMMENT THAT REVEALS YOUR MISPLACED MORAL HUBRIS AND TIMID INTELLECT.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should probably take it easy. I thought the one-liner was funny, while your 2 line response was overboard (and lacked a sense of humor).

Maybe that's just me.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not my quote walter kaufmann said it lol
Old 06-08-2007, 05:44 PM

I prefer Freud and what he wrote under the influence of cocaine. He was basically like "Wow, this is some really good stuff"

Except from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine#Popularization:

[ QUOTE ]
You perceive an increase of self-control and possess more vitality and capacity for work....In other words, you are simply normal, and it is soon hard to believe you are under the influence of any drug....Long intensive physical work is performed without any fatigue...This result is enjoyed without any of the unpleasant after-effects that follow exhilaration brought about by alcohol....Absolutely no craving for the further use of cocaine appears after the first, or even after repeated taking of the drug...

[/ QUOTE ]

I always laugh when I read this.