Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Just enough bets?

Button is tag 2+2'er and regular at the tables. The other guy is a fish.

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12SB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (12BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (18BB, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in $8</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 20.4BB
Old 08-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Just enough bets?

Certainly not too few.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:12 PM

I like the first two streets, but after that I think you need to slow down. On the flop, button is representing either an overpair to the flop or a set. If he has a hand like JJ and you keep on betting, by this point he'll get the message and just call down. On the other hand, if he has a hand like AA or 99, he's likely to keep showering you with raises. Furthermore, the turn card is potentially troubling for you because one of the hands the fish could be hanging onto here could be something like A9s and he may have just sucked out on you. How likely this is depends on just how fishy the fish is; regardless, I think all this adds up to checking and calling from here on in.

Just my opinion...
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a hand like JJ and you keep on betting, by this point he'll get the message and just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were hinting upon a key point here.

Button is a TAG. His range for 3-betting preflop may be a little broader, given that the other guy is a fish, but we're still looking at AA-99, smaller pocket pairs, and maybe a few high card combos.

Given TAG's action on the flop, we're looking at AA-TT or a set (most of the time, anyway).

Therefore we're either way ahead or way behind.

I like the flop 3-bet, but after that it'd be best to check-call the turn.

The rationale here is that he will continue to bet hands like QQ-TT anyway, but he's gonna raise your ass yet again with AA or a set. TAG's are generally smart, and aren't gonna raise you again with QQ-TT on the turn. Therefore, if we bet the turn, we're gaining nothing when ahead, but losing when behind.

An interesting situation arises on the river. The usual WA/WB line says to bet the river. However, I think the same above noted rationale applies to the river (i.e. we're getting raised when behind, called when ahead ... and he's prolly gonna bet the river anyway again as long as it's not an Ace or King). Thus, check-call the river as well.

Just my thoughts ...
Adam
Old 08-20-2006, 04:55 PM

Check/call the turn and check/call the river, and then I like this hand. When a tag caps this flop he is gonna have AA or a set every time, the only reason we call down is just in case were wrong. The pot is large enough to see a showdown hoping this is the case.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM

You have no leverage on your flop 3-bet because of your relative position. You can't possibly hope to drive anyone out of the pot. It's a pure value reraise and it shows a very good hand.

Button is the sort of player who should appreciate this point. You told him loud and clear what you have and he responded by capping. Then the top card paired on the turn which would be good (because it diminishes the chance Button has a set) except that there is a fish calling along with no obvious draw on board. Now you have two ways to lose this pot. It's time to become deeply concerned about your hand. I would checkcall the turn and river.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM

can anyone fold to the turn raies?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 PM

no way you can fold the turn with an OP with this pot size. Check/call all the way down UI.

-eric
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM

yup, if you bet the turn he will probably only raise with a better hand, while worse pocket pairs will bet if checked to anyway.

If he doesn't know you are decent tag and instead thinks that you are a donkey, things might be different.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone fold to the turn raies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tha'ts what I thought the minute I pressed the bet button. If I bet here I might as well fold to a raise since there is no way I am good. Still can't do it though...