Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 AM

Default What\'s holding you back from the next level of poker ?

We all hit snags in the road somewhere along the way but what is your's at this point ? Over the past few years at first it was just learning the game until I bought Super System. During that time I was just playing sng's and once I read that book I jumped up very quickly to 33/55 SNG's and was consistently winning at them ... and then I moved full time to MTT's and very quickly had a lot of success there and then to the final stages and the hardest part in poker, cash games. I really didn't hit any snags on my way up from NL25 to NL200 but now when taking jumps up to NL400 I'm having my biggest hurdle yet. The play is DRAMATICALLY better and MUCH trickier. A ton of people limp with huge hands and then trap you after you put a lot of $ in the pot and they started then raising you on the turn/river. Where as a UTG limp and then a 2nd limp behind him from UTG+1 in NL200 usually means they are weak, at NL400 the 2nd limp is a lot of the time VERY good hands such as AK and so on. People defend their $ a lot harder than they have at NL200. Continuation bets don't work as much as they used to because these people are very aware of the 'normal' plays and will play back at you. Where you might have AK and have a flop come 4 5 10 and u bet they call and then when u try and bet a queen on the turn, you might very well be raised by nothing because they know you are continuation betting. A lot of the limping/trapping has had me confused a ton lately and I have dropped back down to NL200. Also cashing out 4 grand in the last 3 weeks hasn't helped me either as I'm now underolled for it. Stupid me I promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore. I don't have a big sample size and am only down 2 1/2 buyins overall as well so it's not like I can't compete at this level but I just have to get used to the stakes I think. Lately I bought in for half the buyin and that has allowed me to play a little more comfortable as I'm ok with putting 200 in a pot and not to comfortable with putting 400 in a pot. Very easy to lose a grand really quick (canadian $ not US $) at that level to so it can put you a little out of your comfort zone. This is my first real snag so far in my poker career ... what's yours ? I also have no urge to really gamble or move up fast to higher limits. Some people like to keep playing higher and higher and I guess it's exciting to them. I get no excitement playing out of my comfort zone. Guess I'm not really a gambler at heart ... although I don't look at the chips as $ when playing poker, I usually get more pissed off if I lose 50 dollars a blackjack than if I lose 300 at poker. I don't like to gamble and know I can't win long term at blackjack but it's the other way around in poker.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: What\'s holding you back from the next level of poker ?

try cardrunners.com even if you just buy 1 or two 2-4 nl vidieos they will help
Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's holding you back from the next level of poker ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suck at it.

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I bought in for half the buyin and that has allowed me to play a little more comfortable as I'm ok with putting 200 in a pot and not to comfortable with putting 400 in a pot[ QUOTE ]
although I don't look at the chips as $ when playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 AM

Just for your information, when most people move up in limits, at first they aren't to comfortable with it especially if they aren't risk takers. Just in case you weren't sure ... lets get this thread back on the right track and not ruin it as it looks like your trying to do just that.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM

What's my snag? Being fairly sure my results are just from running bad but not being totally sure.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM

My current obstacle is that life problems are interfering with my game. This is my first losing year in the past eight. My priorities being what they are, the life problems come first; I trust that the poker will straighten itself out when I work through the life issues.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:35 PM

not feeling confortable with the limit, i played a long time on nl100 $ cause i was not confortable on the nl200 and i got some badbeat at this limit

finally moved up this year, and its going well, if u dont feel confortable with the money u put on the table, than u r not rdy for this limit
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 AM

Nobody respects my raises. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Whats holding me back?

Not learning a lesson until it costs me $$$
Playing for "relaxation" when I have other shssh on my mind.
Playing through a rush and thinking its skill.
Beating donkies and thinking its skill.
And grand daddy of them all .. making a play automatically instead of taking 5 extra seconds and thinking it through.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM

You are kind of the opposite player as me. I like moving up quickly for the excitement. I usually play my best when i'm playing way higher than normal, and sometimes donk off chips or get bored playing normal limits. Of course though since i do this i can never keep a bankroll going. You seem to have good self disicpline, so i think your best approach would be to get a big enough sample size in nl400 to determine if you can beat it or not. Buying in for 200 would probably be a good way to get enough hands in.