Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Looking for advice, input on taking a shot at 5/10 nl

OK so i'm mainly making this thread just looking for input on how i've been playing/managing my bankroll and to decide if i should take a shot at 5/10 nl at the bellagio.

For some history on me, i am from louisana and moved to vegas 9 months ago (to work with cirque du soleil). I turned 21 just over 2 months ago (march 8th), since then i have been playing about 3-4 nights a week averaging maybe 3-4 hours a session.

I started out playing 1/2 nl buying in for 100, which i took the 100 from my work money. From there i kept playing 1/2 until i got to about 2300 in profits, (after about 4-5 weeks) and since then ive been playing 2/5 nl at the bellagio buying in for 300. I'm now at 5,800 in overall profit.

So i'm thinking of taking a shot at 5/10 tonight buying in for 600, and if i lose to go back down to 2/5. thoughts?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Looking for advice, input on taking a shot at 5/10 nl

Good luck. Sounds like you'll be a little short. Wouldn't you want to be able to afford to lose a couple of buyins to get a feel for the game? Unless it's a soft game or you get real lucky to start, you'll probably play too weak tight worrying about the money.

FWIW, I normally play 5-150 at CAZ (no no limit in AZ) and my bankroll/profits/time commitments this year are similar to yours. I'm now playing the 10-150 which is about as close as you can get to 5/10 around these parts and I've definitely cost myself some money by letting the $1K buyins affect my confidence. Fortunately I've been on an incredible heater (my QQ rivered a straight to crack AA and a set of tens in a $1700 pot yesterday) which has helped me ride out some bad play and increased my confidence. But if I go cold and lose 1/3 of BR in a day or two, I'm not sure how long it will take for me to be confident enough to try 10-150 again.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM

I don't think worrying about the money will be a big issue for me. I of course won't want to lose it, but i could afford to if i did. It is kind of short, but its the same porption that i buy into 2/5 for. I have also heard from some locals that the 5/10 isn't much different in terms of play frmo the 2/5.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 AM

If you're used to short stacking it, you should be fine. There's a difference between taking a shot and moving up. Take a shot.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 AM

Chances are it WILL be a soft game, take a shot
Old 05-23-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chances are it WILL be a soft game, take a shot

[/ QUOTE ]

Expound on this please? I'll be in Vegas for 10 days shortly and am curious as to the 5/20 games this time of year and why you think they all will be soft?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM

everybody says live is easier than online. much easier. they say if you play 2/4 online you can play 5/10 live.

i say that is true, people are horrible live. the problem is, you have to be really patient in live games, and it gets boring fast. plus, live you have to deal with ugly, annoying people, and that can hurt the bottom line.