Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Evil Atheism.

An intuitive religious view of the concept that is today overlooked and even regarded as humourous.

Now while im not saying that atheists are evil or even that atheism causes evil, i do believe that there is some truth in the notion of evil atheism.

Without looking too far into the bleak dimensions of human nature its safe to say that we and all life forms on this planet are just extremely advanced organic computers.

Stimulus and response governs our actions and every action has a reason governed by either inherent biological mechanism or largerly uncontrollable conditioning.

Well when you apply this theory of calculated choice to human behaviour motives benefits and costs of behaviour become clearer.

If we live in a world where the only benefit of pro social action is (potential) social rewards and not an inherent righteousness or promise of paradise you can see that an atheistic stance CAN lend itself to a more evil choice of actions.

Obviously correlations to atheism intelligence siincere thought etc may detract from evil action aswell, but by and large the adoption of atheism is just one thing that can inhibit moral action.

I could have elaborated more but i think this is my longest ever post.

Cliff note: Atheism states that there is no inherent goodness in humanity and (should) demand a calculated view on moral action of which the right choice is only right when it benefits the operant.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Evil Atheism.

There are evil atheists, there are evil theists, but neither atheist nor theism can really be evil.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM

don't get me started!

(seriously though, how many times per week do we need a new thread on this topic?)
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cliff note: Atheism states that there is no inherent goodness in humanity and (should) demand a calculated view on moral action of which the right choice is only right when it benefits the operant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need inherent goodness to have goodness. Our goodness is what we have decided it shall be, and I don't need the idea of god too teach me what acts are wrong and what are right. Neither do I need to believe in absolute morality to judge an act as good or evil.

And it is a little to funny to try and portray atheists and the coldhearted and calculating computers of the modern world, when static and predefined views such a religion will often remind alot more of how a computer (currently) operates.

I think a more fair analogy would be to see atheists as the people who aren't afraid to change the parameters of the computer when progress is needed.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An intuitive religious view of the concept that is today overlooked

[/ QUOTE ]

quoted for unintentional humor.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stimulus and response governs our actions and every action has a reason governed by either inherent biological mechanism or largerly uncontrollable conditioning.

Well when you apply this theory of calculated choice to human behaviour motives benefits and costs of behaviour become clearer.

[/ QUOTE ]

no they don't. they don't at all.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An intuitive religious view of the concept that is today overlooked and even regarded as humourous.

Now while im not saying that atheists are evil or even that atheism causes evil, i do believe that there is some truth in the notion of evil atheism.

Without looking too far into the bleak dimensions of human nature its safe to say that we and all life forms on this planet are just extremely advanced organic computers.

If we live in a world where the only benefit of pro social action is (potential) social rewards and not an inherent righteousness or promise of paradise you can see that an atheistic stance CAN lend itself to a more evil choice of actions.

Obviously correlations to atheism intelligence siincere thought etc may detract from evil action aswell, but by and large the adoption of atheism is just one thing that can inhibit moral action.

I could have elaborated more but i think this is my longest ever post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Through evolutionary understanding we come to the conclusion that human being in fact fundamentally believe in universal morality. Just look at how people who *do* do evil things try to turn it around and make it look to themselves and others that they are in fact doing moral things. Also, no human being can do evil things without hurting themself psychologically. This is, again, because humans believe in universal morality and it's lasered in their bones that they ought not do evil things.

It's interesting that you bring up religion, but religion tries to turn human nature against itself. But that's for another time.

I also wanted to comment on the fact that under a free market system, people who cooperate the best win out. Just look at this forum for example; it's the people who get the most out of interacting with others who turn out the best poker players.

Another thing is that helping others is the most wonderful thing ever. Not because of some angry sky-ghost, but because of human nature. And people are realizing this more every day. Isn't that what you are trying to do here? To help other people? It feels great because you get to see others be benefitted. And you start to see you and the other as one. It's not about the other, or about yourself, but about *us*.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Fun project: Find an atheist world leader who caused good in the world!

Have Fun!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun project: Find an atheist world leader who caused good in the world!

Have Fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

or a dwarf.
the witch of the north should have crushed them all.

luckyme
Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 PM

Nielso i agree helping ppl has its own rewards.
Every1 knows that.
But what about ppl who cant gain reward from helping ppl because they are so cut off from reality, or far away from benefiting from a thankful invitation to a party or something.
People in the depths of depression could care less about a smile from a thankful recipient of an open door.
What about people who stand to either stay 'moral' or have the opportunity to make BIG bucks if they decide to act on their chance to steal.

My only point was that atheism states that humans should only act good to feel good, and so when the reward of a good act falls short of the reward of a bad one the only logical thing to do is the bad act.

While im sure modern atheists are thoughtful and sincere about their beliefs what if we were to raise a civilisation on atheism.

Atheism then wouldnt be just the stance of the intellectual or sincere but the stance of all from hood rat to schizophrenic.